Varsity Boys’ Basketball team takes on Carmel in second round of CCS

The+Varsity+boys+basketball+team+faces+Carmel+High+School+this+Thursday+in+a+second+round+CCS+matchup.+Harker+is+favored+to+win+as+they+hold+the+higher+seed+over+Carmel.+

Ria Gandhi

The Varsity boys’ basketball team faces Carmel High School this Thursday in a second round CCS matchup. Harker is favored to win as they hold the higher seed over Carmel.

The Varsity boys’ basketball team will host Carmel High School this Thursday in a second round CCS game in the Blackford Gym at 7 p.m.

After defeating Woodside Priory, Sacred Heart Prep, and Pinewood, three of the Eagles’ league rivals, Harker finished the regular season with a 15-9 overall record. The Eagles have been awarded the sixth seed in Division IV of the CCS tournament.

“I’m perfectly fine with that because I know how difficult the seeding committee’s job is. Originally, we were going to have to have a play-in game. But by winning those 3 games, we were propelled to the number six seed,” head coach of the Varsity boys’ basketball team Butch Keller said.

Carmel is coming into this game with a 14-9 overall record, similar to the Eagles. The Padres are a young team with a talented roster, having only two seniors. The Eagles are an experienced team and are favored to win, as the team holds the higher seed in this matchup.

“I think we will perform pretty well, as we’ve been playing well recently. Our team is mentally prepared going into the game and is ready to make a deep playoff run,” co-captain Eric Holt (11) said.

At the same time, Carmel has standout offensive players that can challenge the Eagles’ stellar defense on the court.

“Carmel has an extremely good post player and they have an incredibly good shooter,” Keller said. “At the same time, I think that defensively, we are a far better team, and I’m hoping that will be the thing that will determine the game.”

Many key injuries have led to the team’s performance falling short of expectations this season. After starting off the season with three double-digit wins over Gunn High School, Monta Vista High School, and Homestead High School, Eric broke his thumb. Nicholas Nguyen (11) and co-captain John Hughes (12) were out when league play began due to other injuries but have been cleared to play in the game this Thursday. Will Deng (12) has torn his PCL and will be out for the rest of the season.

“We couldn’t win our league because we had these key people out, but if you look at what we’ve been through, it’s been a great season,” Keller said.

One advantage that the Eagles have this year is the fact that their rival schools, Sacred Heart Prep and Menlo, have been placed on the other side of the bracket, meaning that those schools won’t be encountered until the CCS finals. This will give the Eagles a better chance of making a deeper playoff run and potentially making the finals.

Come out and cheer for the Varsity boys’ basketball team this Thursday, as it takes on Carmel at 7 p.m. in the Blackford Gym.