Students struggle with returning to school

Junior+Helen+Wu+uses+her+phone+in+Main+Hall+after+school.+Main+Hall+is+a+popular+hangout+location+for+students.+

Alex Jang

Junior Helen Wu uses her phone in Main Hall after school. Main Hall is a popular hangout location for students.

Coming back to school from break can prove a difficult task for some students. Despite many things to look forward to returning to school, many students voiced their difficulty readjusting.

Many expressed needing to wake up early as one of their biggest challenges once break ended.

“I didn’t sleep very well last night because, for the other previous nights during break, I slept at like two or three,” senior Christina Liang said. “I wasn’t used to sleeping early, so I didn’t sleep that much. I went to bed at 12 but didn’t fall asleep until like three.”

Aside from sleep, students also felt the stress of catching up on projects due the first week back due to procrastination or lack of time over break. As Christina explained, projects are assigned before break are often due the first week back, but students procrastinate due to being exhausted.

Junior Patrick Lin, who visited colleges, participated in a math competition, and played video games over break, felt a large burden lifted from his shoulders because he was able to make great strides in his Mathematica project for his Differential Equations class.

“One of the major causes of my nervousness is now a lot less,” Patrick said.

Not all students started off their week on a high note like Patrick though. A female sophomore received her first detention today for forgetting to bring her Spanish textbook to school.

“This was my first detention, so I’m hoping it won’t be a trend,” she said. “I’ll try to be more responsible and bring my stuff to school.”

She also revealed that she is not looking forward to the rest of the week as her favorite TV shows will not be airing due to the Winter Olympics.

Spring Break will begin the week of April 7 and classes will resume on April 14.