Upper School campus experiences first week of continuous rainfall this season

Arden Hu

A group of students sit outside in the Quad area during lunch next to a large puddle that formed from the rain in the morning. On campus, orange cones were set up around particularly large puddles and some flooded areas.

With the prolonged drought plaguing California during its wet season, the U.S. Drought Monitor considers more than 98 percent of the state to be abnormally dry.

The drought has caused a record dryness in California that may be worse than the one of 1976-77. Governor Jerry Brown has asked people to cut their water usage by 20 percent to combat the lack of precipitation and diminished snowpack. Some cities have begun prohibiting people from washing cars, watering their lawns during the daytime, and filling swim pools.

This week marks the first period of continual rain during the season. The average annual precipitation in San Jose is 14.9 inches, and January resulted in  2.99 inches of rainfall. Today is the first day that students have experienced rainfall, which reached an estimated 1.12 inches, during the school day. Rain until after first period, coupled with wind, led those on campus to rush inside to stay dry.

Due to the rainfall, animals that had remained hidden due to the dry environment, including salamanders and insects, made a small reappearance this week; earthworms moved above ground onto the asphalt and concrete this morning in response to the moisture.

Although the appearance of these animals were positive signs, the amount of rainfall so far is not enough to make up for the diminished levels of reservoirs.

“Literally, it’s a drop in the bucket for what we need. Getting an inch today is absolutely helpful, but we’re going to be in trouble this summer,” biology teacher Dr. Harley said. “We’re going to see major effects including things like price of fruits and vegetables, all sorts of things. California’s economy may be very different this year and next year.”

While some, like Dr. Harley, have been tracking the severity of the drought, others have not yet felt the urgency or effects of California’s situation. With water for daily use still available, many students do not feel affected by the reservoir levels’ drop below half capacity. Reservoirs dropped from a typical average of 64% capacity to 39% this year.

“I honestly don’t have a strong opinion on the drought because it is currently not directly affecting me, but I definitely think it’s a problem that needs to be addressed in order to avoid future problems,” Sharon Babu (12) said.

However, some also enjoyed the rain simply for what it was.

“It was a nice change in scenery, and it was nice to know that we aren’t in a completely dry season,” Harry Xu (11) said.

Forecasts expect approximately another inch of rain to continue tomorrow afternoon and over the weekend until late Sunday night.