Winter Sports Recap

With league play for Upper School winter sports teams in full swing, athletes have been scoring goals, shooting baskets, and winning matches for the past three months. Varsity Boys Basketball, Varsity Girls Basketball, Varsity Boys Soccer, Varsity Girls Soccer, and Varsity Wrestling are among the teams that have been racking up victories for the school; players reminisce fondly with three weeks left in the season.

Varsity Boys Basketball

Although their season only officially began a couple weeks ago, the boys have already played 18 games–and won 11. Led by head coach Butch Keller and team captains Will Deng (12), John Hughes (12), and Eric Holt (11), the team has started strong.

When asked about which game truly showcased the ability of the team, Wei Wei Buchsteiner (12) believed it to be the home opener against Sacred Heart on Jan. 10. Although the boys lost, Wei Wei sees this game as one of the highlights so far.

Another major game was the Jan 21. home game against King’s Academy. In addition to their 57-42 victory, this was the first game where the team had all of its players back from injuries and illnesses.

Their next home game will be against Eastside College Prep at Blackford on Tuesday, Feb. 4, at 7:30 p.m.

Varsity Girls Basketball

Varsity Girls Basketball started league play fairly recently. Though the girls lost their first game, they rebounded with a 44-28 victory against Crystal Springs Uplands. Highlights from this game included captain Nithya Vemireddy (12) scoring 22 points.

Captains for the Varsity team this year are Nithya, Alana Shamlou (12), and Michaela Vachev (11).

One change from last season is that all selected players are on the Varsity team; there is no longer a JV girls basketball team.

“Now that there’s no JV team, we have a lot of girls on the team,” Alana said. “We have to work to make sure everyone is meshing together.”

The girls will next be playing University Prep Academy at Blackford on Tuesday, Feb. 4 at 6:00 p.m.

Varsity Girls Soccer

Under new Head Coach John Docherty, Varsity Girls Soccer has won 10 out of 12 games so far.

One of the team’s highlights was its rewarding 3-1 victory on Jan. 16 against Crystal Springs Upland, one of the top teams in the division.

“[Crystal Springs was] a tough competitor and gave us a hard game. Also, it felt really awesome to play at night under the lights,” Kaillee Gifford (9) said.

Kaillee, only a freshman, is the second highest scorer on the team with 13 goals this season.

The girls’ next game will be on Thursday, Feb. 6, at 3:30 p.m. versus Crystal Springs Uplands.

In addition to spending time on the field, the girls are also actively promoting the “Kicks Against Cancer” Fundraiser, which will raise money for Camp Okizu, a special camp for kids diagnosed with cancer.

Varsity Boys Soccer

Varsity Boys Soccer commenced its season in early December. The boys have won eight games and tied one, only conceding four defeats.

When asked about the season’s notable changes, Varsity player Alan Guo (11) mentioned an influx of new members and a formation shift from 3-5-2 to 4-3-3, referring to the number and organization of players on the field.

“We graduated 11 seniors so we have a lot of new faces,” Alan said. “Also, our coach changed our formation this year, and it’s working pretty well.”

Team members consider Sacred Heart Cathedral Preparatory their number one rival. Despite losing to them 1-4 earlier this month, the team believes they can emerge victorious from their game against them this Friday.

“I’m so happy for the boys,” Tsakiris said regarding their 5-2 home game victory against Crystal Springs Uplands on Thursday, Jan. 16. “This is just a perfect example of the guys working hard and being rewarded for it.”

The team practices under returning head coach Shaun Tsakiris and assistant coach Iman Siadat.

Their next home game will be on Friday, Feb. 7, at 3:00 p.m. on Davis Field versus Priory.

Varsity Wrestling

Varsity Wrestling began its season in October with eight student wrestlers: Davis Howard (9), Phil Kendall (9), Danny Riedenbach (9), Annirudh Ankola (11) , Arjun Kumar (12), Darian Edvalson (12), Ravi Bhandia (12), and Vincent Lin (12).

Seniors Darian and Vincent are co-captains for the team.

A significant change for the team this year was the amount of fresh faces: three new freshmen, one new junior, and one new senior joined this season.

“So far it’s been a tough season,” Darian said. “We haven’t really gotten that many wins as a team, but I’m sure we’re going to pick up.”

Darian, who has been wrestling since sixth grade, recently fractured his rib: this injury rendered him unable to participate for most of the season, but he will return to wrestle in the team’s last tournament.

Darian and Vincent were the only two returning wrestlers on the team this season. Head Coach Karriem Stinson and assistant coaches Jason Mendel (‘11) and Charles Ward lead the team.

The team’s next home match will be on Thursday, Feb. 6 at 5:30 p.m. at Blackford versus Los Altos High School.

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on Jan. 27, 2014.