New Harker Economics Club announced during school meeting

Co-founders+Vamsi+Gadiraju+%2811%29+and+Vedant+Thyagaraj+%2811%29+announce+their+new+Harker+Economics+Club+at+school+meeting.+The+club+plans+to+promote+a+greater+interest+in+economics+within+the+school+community.+

Cindy Liu

Co-founders Vamsi Gadiraju (11) and Vedant Thyagaraj (11) announce their new Harker Economics Club at school meeting. The club plans to promote a greater interest in economics within the school community.

Juniors Vamsi Gadiraju and Vedant Thyagaraj announced the launch of the Harker Economics Club at school meeting on Monday, Jan. 27.

Co-founded by Vamsi and Vedant with economics teacher Samuel Lepler as the club advisor, the Harker Economics Club is the first Upper School club to focus solely on economics. While it shares some similarities with DECA, the Economics Club differs in its emphasis on the understanding of economics rather than its business applications.

The club aims to create an interest for economics among the student body, with informative lectures on a variety of topics as well as preparation for contests such as the National Economics Challenge and the Harvard Pre-Collegiate Economics Challenge.

“We plan to have many sessions where we will talk about personal finance, Bitcoin, and other useful real world applications of economics that students can directly participate in or learn in,” Vedant said. “We will also have jeopardy style review sessions to get students prepared for tournaments. We are also aspiring to bring in real economists or specific professors to lecture and educate students about their area of expertise.”

Vamsi and Vedant were inspired to create the Economics Club after noticing there were no post-AP choices for economics students, as both have taken AP Economics at the Upper School. They hoped the Economics Club would allow students who have taken economics to continue pursuing their interests in the subject, especially in topics not studied in classes.

“Most of the material we learn in the class is confined to the strict AP curriculum that is mainly focused on a very neo-Keynesian form of economics education,” Vamsi said. “In the real world, there are many different theories, such as neo-Classical or Chicago School economics, and applications, like virtual currencies or stock indexes, of economics that aren’t even touched upon in the class due to the structure of the AP test.”

In addition, the club would be an opportunity to introduce underclassmen to economics and act as a forum for the discussion of economic issues and current events. Many of the skills learned from economics, such as personal finance, are useful for all students in the future regardless of their career choices.

Lepler, the club advisor, hopes the club will expand in the future to bring prestigious speakers to its meetings or even host a Harker Economics tournament for local Bay Area schools.

“I am very optimistic about our current plans,” Lepler said. “Hopefully we can achieve a level of interest and engagement and get a whole lot done to build excitement among the student body for economics that can also compliment DECA and the Entrepreneurship program.”

The club will have its first meeting this Wednesday in Shah Hall room 403 to go over its plans and goals. All students interested are welcome to attend and learn more about what the club has to offer, regardless of experience or background in economics.