Wedding Singer rehearsals

Vineet Kosaraju

Sophomore Kaushik Sankar adds to his singing and dancing repertoire, in preparation for the upcoming spring musical. For the past week, students have been auditioning for roles in this year’s musical, “The Wedding Singer.”

For the past week, performing arts students have been auditioning for roles in this year’s spring musical, “The Wedding Singer”, based off of a romantic comedy movie taking a look back at the 80’s.

In the movie, Adam Sandler plays Robbie Hart, a wedding singer who is dumped at his own wedding, and falls in love with Julia Sullivan (Drew Barrymore), who is already engaged.

The plot follows the travails of Sandler to convince Barrymore to leave her rich fiancé in the pursuit of love.

Last year, cast members performed “Oklahoma!”, directed by Laura Lang-Ree, another romantic comedy about two pairs of lovers in the early 1900s. The cast earned eight nominations at the Bay Area High School Musical Theatre: Stage Top Honor Awards, and won awards in sound and choreography in June of last year.

On Monday and Tuesday, students performed solo auditions by preparing songs and monologues, whereas on Wednesday, students met to learn the Roger Rabbit and the Robot for singing and dancing auditions. Afterwards, students worked on scenes and prepared for more solo auditions.

Some students enjoy participating in the musical because it allows them to practice and perfect several performing arts skills.

“I’m in the performing arts conservatory, so I need to go for the auditions each year,” Kaushik Sankar (10) said. “However, I also really like the musical because it’s a unique thing at Harker. You can act, sing, and dance, all at the same time.”

According to Jonathan Trinh (10), underclassmen usually do not receive major speaking roles, but he still enjoys auditioning for the musical.

“For sophomores and freshmen, it’s more about getting a part in the ensemble, but the juniors and seniors get named roles. Participating in the musical is still a really fun process, even if the part might be small,” he said.

Callback auditions will continue until the beginning of next week. The cast will perform “The Wedding Singer” starting on April 24th until the 26th in the Blackford theater.