DECA members prepare for SCDC

Riya Chandra

Haley Tran (9) and Raymond Xu (9) are discussing their team written event together. DECA will attend the State Career Development Conference beginning on Feb. 5.

Upper School students going to the next DECA conference, State Career Development Conference (SCDC), have started preparing during the study sessions that are offered.

After the club’s thirteen first through third place wins and several other finalists at the Silicon Valley Career Development Conference (SVCDC), Harker Business Club (HBC) hopes to succeed even further by requiring members to attend at least six hours worth of study sessions. The sessions have been offered on most Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays since SVCDC ended.

“After SV, we realized that we had a lot more potential than we had been putting into the students,” HBC President Monica Thukral (12) says. “All the Harker students are incredibly talented. They have the ability speak, to communicate, and to market and everything that is necessary to place in their events in state.”

They include practicing roleplay and written events in front of officers and parent volunteer judges to receive advice and feedback for their respective events. Written events are also taken with a roleplay event. To help prepare better for the written tests, the officers have added a new element to their study sessions in which the Director of Events, Adarsh Battu (12) has started to hold sessions in groups to help members achieve higher scores on their written exams.

“When we are in a group there is a little bit more collaborative nature and also a little of pressure for them, and I think that helps students because they are under a little stress for the test,” he said.

It is not required to have been at any of the previous conferences to attend states, but states determines if the student has qualified to compete  to the International Career Development Conference (ICDC) in Atlanta, Georgia on May 3 to 6.

Members participating in this conference will be missing two days of school, but will have downtime to finish their work. Students will continue to practice, present, and study for their SCDC events until they leave from Feb. 5 through Feb. 9.