Performing Arts students dance for spring musical audition

Prospective cast members of this year’s spring musical, The Wedding Singer, met to learn the Roger Rabbit and the Robot for dance auditions today after school.

Students who had already performed a monologue and solo piece Monday and Tuesday, were split into groups of 10 and taught choreography over 30 minutes.

The Wedding Singer is a 90’s look at the 80’s, poking fun at the big hair and gaudy fashions of the decade. Its score is a blend of hard rock and light 80’s pop.

The Wedding Singer is adapted from a 1998 movie set in the 80’s starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barymore. It follows the story of Robbie Hart (Sandler), the most popular wedding singer in New Jersey, as he falls in love with Julia Sullivan (Barymore), who is engaged to a rich businessman.

Although the majority auditioning were underclassmen, freshmen and sophomores explained that they would be happy with ensemble positions because only upperclassmen get speaking roles most of the time.

Arjun Subramaniam (9) agreed that options are limited for younger students. “It happens very rarely,” he said, “that a freshman gets a speaking role,”

However, some underclassmen remained optimistic. “If I was able to get a role,” said Mary Najibi (10) “I’d want to be the grandma because she’s super cute.” The grandmother is the comedic backbone of The Wedding Singer, with several comedy relief scenes, including an impromptu rap performance.

Older students discussed how “The Wedding Singer” differs from the musicals Harker has done in past years.

“It’s definitely unique,” said Stephan Pellissier (12). “The only parallel I can think of is Tommy because it has more of a contemporary feel.”

The performing arts department tries to put on differing styles of musicals every year to provide variety for the students. “Throughout your four years, you should get to do a range of styles,” Caroline Howells (11) said.

Caroline was one of around twenty people called back to read for a speaking part, saying, “It’s all about figuring out where everyone fits in the big picture.”