Students attend spring sports meeting

Brinda Perumal

Dan Molin prepares to talk about the spring sports season. He explains the expectation of athletes and the requirements to play a spring sport.

Students and coaches met in the gym at noon today during long lunch to discuss the spring sports season.

Spring sports include swimming, boys tennis, boys golf, boys volleyball, girls lacrosse, track and field, softball, and baseball. Upper School Athletic Director Dan Molin began the meeting by introducing the coaches of all the sports. He continued by stating the athletic department’s expectations and general rules for the season. Athletes and coaches then broke out into their respective sport groups to talk about their specific seasons and meet the newcomers.

Molin stated that athletes were expected to have their yellow cards on the first day of practice. He also emphasized the dedication and responsibility owed to the team by each athlete.

Students went to their respective groups to receive more information about the season. They wrote their names on a sheet of paper to add themselves to the e-mail list. With multiple available choices, students had the opportunity to try out a new sport and join a team.

“I’ve never actually played lacrosse before as part of a team other than in PE, so I don’t really know but I’m hoping it’ll be fun because one of my friends is also joining it,” Lauren Liu (9) said.

Others were looking forward to being involved in their sport from previous years. They listened for changes in the upcoming season and some conveyed information to the new players.

“I’m doing track and field again this year since I enjoyed running [and] jumping last year, and running allows me to stay in shape,” Parth Kothari (12), who will join track and field for the second year, said.

Some teams, such as girls lacrosse and swimming, had strength pre-season workouts with strength and conditioning coach Ron Forbes, although athletes were not required to attend.

“Right now, I haven’t been doing much physical activity, so I guess the few weeks are going to be pretty hard for me to get back in shape,” swimmer Jackelyn Shen (11) said.

Spring sports practices officially begin on Feb. 3. Athletes currently playing a winter sport are first expected to finish their current season before joining their spring season sport.