Juniors prepare for college counseling

The junior class prepares for the commencement of the college counseling process, with the first meeting to be held on Jan. 21, the first Tuesday of the new semester.

Junior Class Dean Diana Moss introduced the class’s college counselors to the students during a brief class meeting after the fire drill yesterday. Each member of the class was assigned to a specific college counselor based alphabetically according to last name: A to G have Kevin Lum Lung, G to L have Martin Walsh, L to S have Lauren Collins, and S to Z have Nicole Burrell.

As a part of the counseling, juniors are expected to attend the weekly sessions every Tuesday during extra help beginning second semester, the week of Jan. 20.

“I’m excited because I’m going to actually be making important steps towards my future with decisions about college,” Ashir Bansal (11) said. “I’m a bit nervous about all the work I already have on my back along with college counseling, but I’ve heard the counselors are extremely supportive.”

The four counselors recently finished guiding the current seniors through college counseling and applications, just in time to now assist the juniors.

According to Burrell, Co-Director of College Counseling, large numbers of juniors have already visited the counseling office to schedule appointments with their counselors. She further emphasizes the importance of responsibility and especially time management.

“College counseling is not a passive experience where you sit back and think that your counselor is going to do all the heavy lifting,” Burrell said. “While we are here to guide [students], we expect juniors to take ownership of this process, which means it is your job to take charge of scheduling your meetings, utilizing your college counseling time effectively, researching your colleges, and, in the fall, organizing and meeting the timeline of your college applications.”

Having just gone through the college counseling and application processes, current seniors offer their own opinions on how juniors should look into the start of their own counseling.

“Don’t worry too much about applying at this point. Just relax, keep doing well in school, and visit colleges with an open mind,” Gaurav Kumar (12) said.

The College Counseling Office held an informative Junior Parent College Night yesterday at the Blackford Campus in order to discuss the coming year and expectations with students’ parents.

“The college counseling session was excellent where the college counselors thoroughly summarized what is ahead for the class of 2015,” parent Mariam Shivji said. “Just listening to the counselors, one could tell they are experienced and dedicated to getting to know each student.”

The traditional Parent College Exchange, organized for Jan. 24, will serve as further means for juniors’ parents to learn of what to expect from experienced senior students and alumni. The gathering will take place in Nichols Hall, with a dinner preceding panel discussions between alumni students and parents.

If any student wishes to meet privately with his or her assigned counselor, he or she may email for an appointment or schedule one at the college counseling office with Counseling Admin Assistant Erika Rojas ([email protected]) beginning Jan. 22, immediately following the first counseling session.