ASB decorates campus for the holidays

Mercedes Chien

Students walk through the Main, decorated with Christmas lights by ASB over break. A large Christmas tree will be put up in the quad later this week.

Christmas lights strung along the walls of Main Hall and Manzanita welcome students back to school on Mon, Dec. 2 from the week-long Thanksgiving break.

Members of the Associated Student Body (ASB) and class councils decorated the campus for three and a half hours on their last day of break to prepare for the holiday season. They only adorned Main Hall and Manzanita with christmas lights since other buildings’ walls do not have appropriate hooks that allow for such decorations.

“December is a big month for everyone,” senior class Vice President Dora Tzeng said. “It’s the end of the year and finals are coming up and decorating the campus hopefully alleviates stress for students.”

According to ASB President Arjun Goyal (12), ornamenting the campus is a tradition he was introduced to as a freshman. In addition to christmas lights, ASB decorated two trees in the front loading zone with ornaments and will be bringing its own large christmas tree to place in the quad. Students will be able to create their own ornaments during lunch this week to put up on that tree.

“I’m really glad we expanded the amount of holiday spirit we could bring to campus,” Arjun said.

Many problems arose while members of ASB and class councils were decorating the lights. They realized afterwards that the lights they initially strung together could not be lit up all at once. Although redoing the lights was a painstaking process, freshmen class treasurer David Zhu believes it was all worth it.

“My friends marveled at all the colorful lights in Main, and I was proud to be part of the small committee that took part in actually putting up the lights,” he said.

Decorating for Spirit Coordinator Edward Sheu (9) meant more than just embellishing the campus for students.

“It really makes you think for a bit on how hard it is for the maintenance guys,” he said. “I mean we were just putting up some lights and we had a bit of trouble. Imagine what they have to do.”

In the future, Edward wishes to expand this project to the student body as a collaborative, bonding event for everyone.

ASB and all class councils plan to organize additional events for the students, including distribution of candy grams and roses during the upcoming holidays.