Idea Challenge in celebration of Global Entrepreneurship Week

The eight-day Idea Challenge, hosted by the Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA), encourages students to find a new use for an everyday object. The mystery object for experimentation this year is an aluminum can. Harker members participate in celebration of the Global Entrepreneurship Week.

DECA

The Harker Business Club (DECA) announced the Idea Challenge, a project that allows students to innovate a new function of an everyday object, in an email sent out last Thursday by club advisor Juston Glass.

DECA revealed the mystery object, an aluminum beverage can, at midnight Thursday. The week-long challenge, ending Nov. 22, requires a team of three to four students to brainstorm ideas for the product, create the product, and finally present it in a three minute youtube video. A panel of judges will then assay the final product.

“I think it is an activity that doesn’t require a lot of time, and it’s a great innovative entrepreneurial experience because [students] are able to brainstorm, work as a team, and innovate,” Glass said. “You are short on time so you can’t waste days or hours doing too much.”

Students submitting work should complete a form sent out in the DECA email and post their project’s corresponding youtube video online by 6 p.m., Nov. 22. The final winners will be announced Dec. 12.

A thousand dollar prize will be awarded to the global winners, along with online recognition by the DECA Inc. and Global Entrepreneurship Week websites. The team will also be acknowledged at the DECA International Career Development Conference (ICDC) from May 3 to May 6. The top Harker competitors with the highest school-wide rating in the challenge will also receive an unannounced award.

“I think the idea challenge is a useful way to get people more involved with DECA without having to attend conferences,” DECA director of public relations Gaurav Kumar (12) said.

Middle schoolers at Harker, along with high schoolers, have the opportunity to enter the Challenge year as well since, as Glass says, “innovation has no age.”

The Business Club also participated in the Silicon Valley DECA Leadership Development and Competitive Excellence Conference (LDCEC) last weekend, Nov. 15 to 17 in San Francisco, where lecturers such as lawyer and politician Rohit “Ro” Khanna spoke to the students.

“We went to all the workshops and listened to both professionals and students explain and go in depth about [DECA-related] subjects,” Lekha Chirala (11) said.

The non-competitive convention also benefited club members who wanted to strengthen role-play and other business skills by allowing them the opportunity to participate in various workshops led by featured motivational speakers and business professionals.

The next Silicon Valley Career Development Conference hosted by DECA will take place Jan. 3 to 5. In the meantime, only four days remain until the Idea Challenge deadline.