AP Psychology students study babies

Meilan Steimle

Marcia Lepler holds her seven month old graddaughter, Maya. The students in AP Psychology spent time playing with babies to understand their cognitive abilities.

Kelly Horan’s AP Psychology students observed babies Wednesday morning as part of their developmental psychology unit.

Infants ranging from six months to three-and-a-half years old, most of whom are children of faculty members, came to the Upper School for 3rd and 4th period.

“It was really fun to bring the kids in and watch the students interact with them and do funny things,” said Marcia Lepler, the grandmother of Economics teacher Samuel Lepler’s children.

Students taking AP Psychology study a variety of subjects, from memory and perception to mental disorders. The difference with the development unit, Horan explained, is that students have more trouble understanding the developing brains of young children because it’s been such a long time since they could relate to that style of thinking.

“We can usually only get in our own minds,” she said. “Not backtrack because our thinking has changed so much.”

By observing and playing with the babies, students were able to get a more hands on and interactive look at brain development in young children.

“The idea was to see some of the theories we studied in action,” Horan said.

Students conducted experiments disguised as games on the babies, testing for a variety of cognitive abilities such as object permanence. They showed a baby a toy and then covered the toy in a blanket in front of the child. Students then recorded whether the baby understood that the object was still there.

The awareness that objects continue to exist even when they cannot be seen of heard, also known as object permanence, marks a jump forward in cognitive ability.

Even though the babies were there for observational purposes, the tone of the activities was more of lighthearted play than serious science, a fact which surprised some students. Shenel Ekici (12) remarked that she expected a work period, but “it was definitely more play than anything else.”

Even so, the novelty of playing with babies didn’t hamper the academic efforts of the exercise. “It was a very educational experience,” Raymond Cheng (12) said. “We were able to relate what we’ve been studying to real life. It was a nice change in pace.”

Despite its academic overtones, the activity was a welcome respite from the busy schedule of a Harker student.