Human Anatomy students prepare microscopic slides in histopathology lab

Histotechnician+Chris+Gallegos+shows+Human+Anatomy+and+Physiology+students+how+to+operate+a+microtome+to+slice+tissue+samples.+Students+had+the+opportunity+to+prepare+and+view+their+own+microscope+slides%2C+a+process+which+involved+cutting+and+staining+the+sample.++

Advaita Kanakamedala

Histotechnician Chris Gallegos shows Human Anatomy and Physiology students how to operate a microtome to slice tissue samples. Students had the opportunity to prepare and view their own microscope slides, a process which involved cutting and staining the sample.

Human Anatomy and Physiology (HAPy) students experienced a slice of life as histologists, studying tissues during a lab led by professional histotechnician Chris Gallegos on Monday.

Gallegos works as a histotechnician at El Camino Hospital and also conducts his own research lab. He has been coming to HAPy classes for three years now to help with this histology lab.

Histology, or the study of tissues, is a topic most students have never seen before taking a human anatomy class. After studying various types of tissues in class, students had the opportunity to prepare their own samples to view under a microscope.

Students received a human tissue sample from a patient and had to prepare their own microscopic slide from that sample. This involved correctly cutting the tissue using a microtome, staining it through an extensive process, and properly mounting the sample onto a microscope slide.

“[Students] are so accustomed to being given the prepared slides,” HAPy teacher Anita Chetty said. “I wanted them to understand the process that’s involved in actually visualizing cells.”

In addition to preparing their own slides, Gallegos also brought a few gross anatomy samples: a portion of a cancerous human intestine and a human heart, both taken from autopsies, for students to look at and touch.

“It was kind of gross at first, but after a while, it was pretty cool,” Shivani Gillon (12) said. “The coolest part was definitely getting to hold a cancerous intestine.”

Chetty started the lab three years ago to further her philosophy of giving students a clinical experience in the field of human anatomy. After every unit, students complete some kind of clinical application component related to the organ system they are studying.

“I want it to be a real-life experience,” Chetty said. “I try to do that with many of my initiatives. We practice, we pretend, or we do the real thing, but in every case, it’s about ‘What would it be like to be in this actual situation?’”

A few of the other hands-on opportunities Chetty has planned for the rest of the year include looking at skin cancer with a recent PhD graduate after the integumentary unit of the class, and a cardiac surgery workshop in February where students will to insert a synthetic valve into a pig heart.