Memorial held in honor of Jason Berry

Juhi Gupta

Students and teachers commemorate English teacher Jason Berry at his reception at the Upper School. Berry died Saturday morning due to an apparent heart failure.

A reception for English teacher Jason Berry was held for all students and faculty at the Upper School following a memorial at the WestGate Church in Saratoga. Berry, 38, died at his home last Saturday of apparent heart failure.

The reception began with a speech from Head of School Chris Nikoloff, who welcomed everyone and then provided a short anecdote from Berry’s life.

After the opening words, attendees were invited to participate in honoring Berry by writing cards to him, eating his favorite foods, viewing his memorabilia, and speaking to one another about what he meant to the community.

“He really did have a big influence in my life. To me he was kind of a mix of happy-go-lucky jokester and this really intellectual human being,” said Neelima Gadagottu (‘13), who took Berry’s Literature Into Film class as a senior. “That kind of stuck with me throughout my time at Harker, and I’m definitely never going to forget that.”

Students and faculty attended the reception dressed in Clemson University colors and had orange paw prints, to represent the school Berry both attended and loved. They also wore bear stickers in honor of the animal with which he often associated himself.

“He was really passionate and he really cared about the team. Every time we had a game, he put his heart and soul into our team and he really cared about us. I’m really grateful and honored that he was our coach, and I’m glad he stepped up to that job,” varsity soccer player Nikita Parulkar (11) said.

Berry’s wife, Director of Alumni Relations MaryEllis Deacon Berry, parents, Lance and Nancy Berry, brother, Josh Berry, parents-in-law, Upper School Division Head Butch Keller and math teacher Jane Keller, were in attendance at the ceremony.

A scholarship fund created in Berry’s name was announced to the community, giving students an opportunity to reflect upon what he meant to them. To donate, you can send the advancement office a check or complete the form at harker.org.