Senior showcase marks end to performing arts year

Seniors+line+up+to+accept+their+awards+for+successfully+completing+the+Conservatoy+Certificate+program+of+performing+arts.+After+four+years+of+persistent+effort%2C+they+were+able+to+put+on+a+performance+that+showcased+their+finely+sharpened+skills+in+their+chosen+major.++

Seniors line up to accept their awards for successfully completing the Conservatoy Certificate program of performing arts. After four years of persistent effort, they were able to put on a performance that showcased their finely sharpened skills in their chosen major.

by Anokhi Saklecha

As a cloud of darkness settled upon the audience and the spotlight appeared on stage, the curtains slowly gaped, setting the tone for the 2013 Senior Showcase.

Held on Friday, May 24th, at 7:00 pm, the Senior Showcase consisted of the talents of 27 graduating seniors from the elite performing arts Conservatory Certificate Program. The students had spent their last four years of high school focusing on one of six branches of the performing arts: Dance, Vocal Music, Instrumental Music, Theater, Musical Theater, or Technical Theater.

During the show, students were able to display their enhanced proficiency in their chosen performing arts major. Emcees, Anna Kendall (11) and Gaurav Kumar (11) introduced the performances, while providing background information on the artists and their upcoming segments.

Acts ranged from Alice Tsui’s comedic theatrical performance and Molly Wolfe’s upbeat technical dancing to Rohan Chandra’s solemn vocal presentation and Albert Chen’s melodious instrumental piece. While some artists chose to put on solo acts, many incorporated other students in group productions.The seniors were able to successfully exhibit their refined skills, while making the most out of their last high school performance.

“It was a bittersweet experience. I love [my classmates] all so much and I know they’re going to do great things, but at the end of the day, it’s kind of sad because I’ve known all of them for four years,” dancer Apricot Tang (12) said. “Overall, [it was still] a lot of excitement and happiness.”

This year, the location of the show was changed from the usual Blackford auditorium to the Mexican Heritage Plaza.

“Being here was a huge difference. It’s such a slick, professional, beautiful, awesome, and real theater, and it put the students work where it belonged,” said Laura Lang Ree, Musical Theater Director and Performing Arts Department Chair.

As the seniors demonstrated their individual expertise in their chosen field, the showcase was a solely student-run performance. Participants as well as audience members expressed feelings of admiration and sentiment for each other, as the performers walked the last few steps of their high school path.

“It was really cool. I knew all the seniors this year, and I got really close to a lot of them,” Ishanya Anthapur (10) said. “It was just a lot of fun seeing them being amazing on stage,”

After the performance came to a close, each of the Certificate seniors were recognized and awarded by their respective faculty advisers.

“I don’t know what the future holds for me, but I know that this is done, and that’s what kept me going,” Bollywood dancer Rahul Nalamasu (12) said.

The seniors look forward to continuing their performing arts careers in college and beyond.