The Tradition of Yearbook Signing

Freshmen+Sai+Sunkara+and+Panny+Shan+sit+atop+the+stairs+leading+to+Dobbins+Hall%2C+signing+friends%E2%80%99+yearbooks.+Yearbook+signatures+are+a+great+way+to+keep+in+touch+with+friends+and+remember+the+good+times+shared+with+them+in+high+school.+
Freshmen Sai Sunkara and Panny Shan sit atop the stairs leading to Dobbins Hall, signing friends’ yearbooks. Yearbook signatures are a great way to keep in touch with friends and remember the good times shared with them in high school.

As the school year winds to a close, hordes of students crowd around tables, scrambling to jot down every last detail into their friends’ yearbooks.

The importance of signing yearbooks is different to everyone, but most agree on the same reason

“I think it’s a way to give people a memory of you,” Nitya Mani (10) said. “In 20-30 years from now, [my friends can] look [back] on it and remember all the memories we’ve had.”

On the other hand, students like Mary Najibi (9) think that yearbook messages are not just limited to close friends–teachers and acquaintances alike can leave notes in others’ yearbooks as well.

“You can write messages to your friends or people that aren’t your friends and wish them a happy summer,” she said. “You can [also] remember the memories that you had.”

With just less than a day left before graduation, most seniors found the tradition to be especially important as they prepare to leave high school.

“We try to make sure all the seniors have yearbooks because it’s the last time you’re going to see most of these people and it’s kind of like your last memory of them,” senior Andre Tran said. “When you’re in college, you [can] read it and [see that] this person said this, and it’s just a good way to just keep in touch with your friends and have good memories of them.”

However, some freshmen, sophomores, and juniors elected not to buy a yearbook because they think that they will just get the same messages year after year.

Many students, including seniors, plan to continue signing yearbooks until the last day of school, June 6.