New ASB council holds first school meeting

Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors gather in the gym on Tuesday, May 21 for the first school meeting run by the 2013-2014 ASB council. According to ASB President Arjun Goyal (11), one main focus of the new council is to make the school meetings more efficient and fun, avoiding delays and playing music as students enter the gym.

May 21 marks the official start of the new ASB council school year. ASB President Arjun Goyal (11), Vice President Sahithya Prakash (11), Secretary Vincent Lin (11), and Treasurer Rohith Bhethanabotla (11) ran the first school meeting of their term earlier today.

Efficiency is the main goal for school meetings, according to the new ASB council. This meeting signified a bright start to the beginning of their term when Vincent noted that the lack of time delay allowed the meeting to end five minutes earlier than scheduled.

Additionally, Sahithya anticipates improving the school meetings not only by making them more efficient, but also by uplifting students’ spirits as they enter the gym.

“There weren’t that many announcements so I think people really liked that,” she said, reflecting on today’s school meeting. “We’re trying to make it more fun so we want to have music playing when people come in on Monday mornings.”

Announcements during the meeting included an awards recognition announcement by Assistant Head of School Jennifer Gargano, clarifying the process in which students receive special awards.

Librarians Lauri Vaughan and Meredith Cranston also issued a library privacy announcement, warning students to check their social networking privacy settings monthly since companies profit off of personal information.

Other changes included the new “eagle nation” announcement crew, consisting of junior athletes who will regularly update the student body on recent athletic accomplishments.

Students particularly enjoyed the efficiency of this meeting and are generally excited for what the new council has to offer.

“I think they’ll do a good job next year because they’ve all had a lot of experience with leading their class meetings,” Sachin Peddada (10) said.

Junior Daniel Pak believes that the council’s past experiences will help them better the school through the projects they plan to implement.

“I am looking forward to seeing how the new ASB will make improvements on what has already been done,” he said.

In regards to the new plans, Arjun hopes to be more project driven throughout his term. Some projects he would like to implement include those that pertain to campus beautification as well as those that will benefit students.