Baseball loses to Sacred Heart Prep on senior night

Senior Jacob Hoffman prepares to bat on senior night. The final score was 2-15, losing to opponent Sacred Heart Prep.

During its last home game of the season today, the boys’ baseball team lost against Sacred Heart Prep 2-15 at Blackford.

Seniors Kevin Cali, Drew Goldstein, and Jacob Hoffman were honored before the match with bouquets of roses and words of recognition for their achievements from head coach CJ Cali.

The game started out slow with Sacred Heart up 3-0. Jacob inspired optimism as he made a hit, leading Kevin and David Lin (10) to score off his hit, rolling in two points. As the reigning League Champion with only one loss to Menlo, the Eagles could not defend home plate from the Gators and ended with a final score of 2-15.

Despite the defeat, team members turned their attention to celebrating their senior night with cake and pizza. Players took pictures with the seniors and spoke words of gratitude.

Some players expressed sorrow that it would be their last year playing alongside the seniors.

“It’s definitely going to be a loss to the program, as they are by far the best players on the team,” Arthur Goldstein (9) said.

Even though the game ended in a loss leaving the team at 9-14-1 overall, the seniors were pleased because of the passion they saw in the underclassmen’s performance.

“I was really proud of how our young team competed with the far more experienced Sacred Heart Prep squad,” Jacob said. “Although I obviously wish my fellow seniors and I could’ve finished our careers with a win, the determination I saw from our youngest players was very satisfying in and of itself.”

The team looks forward to its final match of the season against Menlo this Friday, May 10.