Remainder of sophomore class council speeches presented during long lunch

Sophomore Savi Joshi strikes a pose while singing a line from Mulan’s “Let’s Get Down to Business.” Pop culture references were often incorporated to make speeches more relatable and engaging.

Sophomores reported to the atrium today at the beginning of long lunch to hear the remainder of their class council election speeches.

Many candidates sought to make their speeches more engaging and unique by incorporating elements such as creative metaphors, household objects, and pop culture references. Vice presidential candidate Vivian Isenberg (10) chose to sport various hats during her speech in order to symbolize the various roles in the job description.

“I wanted to do something sort of memorable and divert from the more common serious speech,” Vivian said.

Presidential candidate Savi Joshi (10)’s metaphor about the widely popular television show Suits was another example of the out-of-the-box speeches presented.

“Just like Mike, I was searching for my place in such a diverse community and perhaps was less qualified than my other competitors. So why choose me? The same reason Harvey chose Mike. Because Harvey saw himself in Mike,” Savi said during her speech.

Most sophomores thought that the speeches were very impactful and addressed key points.

“They all, every single one, spoke about their agendas and plans and I think they went really well,” Reena Sandhu (10) said.

Though many candidates were enthusiastic about their speeches, some felt that a few speeches were exceedingly lengthy and could have been summarized in a more concise fashion.

“It’s difficult to do that when you’re a candidate because you want to convey your message and what you want to do, but when you hear 20 candidates it starts to get repetitive,” class dean Diana Moss said.

Some candidates believed that presenting their speeches during lunch hindered the attentiveness of students.

“I definitely think we had a disadvantage because everyone was hungry and wanted to go to lunch,” vice presidential candidate Nikita Mittal (10) said.

Other students felt that the timing of speeches was not much of a hassle.

“It wasn’t that inconvenient; […] everyone could deal with it and the Powder Puff afterwards made up for it because it was fun,” Nicholas Nguyen (10) said.

Candidates for president are Savi, Ajay Chitkara, Sarah Bean, Julia Eliovich, and Ryan Pachauri; Alex Jang, Nikita, Shiki Dixit, Vivian, Fred Chang, Ashwini Iyer and Ethan Ma for vice president; Azhar Huda and David Lin for treasurer; Suraya Shivji, Anokhi Saklecha, Ransher Dhaliwal, and Rahul Jayaraman for secretary; and Riya Godbole, Aaron Huang, and Nathan Dalal for spirit representative.

Voting will take place tomorrow during both lunches.