Students vote for ASB officers and Honor Council representatives

Honor Council faculty chair Dr. Mark Brada and senior member Nayeon Kim help run the ASB and sophomore Honor Council elections during lunch. Voting took place on Friday, April 19.

During both lunches yesterday, all grades except seniors had the opportunity to elect ASB officers while sophomores also voted for their Honor Council representatives.

Candidates for ASB included all the members of the current junior class council as well as Sarah Bean (10). Juniors Vincent Lin (secretary), Rohith Bhethanabotla (treasurer), and Sahithya Prakash (vice president) ran unopposed for their respective positions. Junior Arjun Goyal and Sarah competed for the position of ASB president.

In addition to ASB elections, the first round of sophomore Honor Council elections also took place. Seventeen candidates ran to represent the class of 2015 for the next two years in the Honor Council. The candidates are Shreya Basu, Billy Bloomquist, Eugene Gil, Richard Gu, Arden Hu, Sanjana Kaundinya, Allison Kiang, Austin Lai, Patrick Lin, Neil Movva, Sahana Rangarajan, Apoorva Rangan, Vivek Sriram, Vedant Thyagaraj, Kailas Vodrahalli, Rachel Wu, and Samyukta Yagati.

Many students revealed that voting is an important milestone in their high school careers.

“[Voting] really allows the student body to have a voice in both Honor Council and ASB which are pretty important in running student life and I think that having that voice is really important,” said Simran Singh (10), who tries to vote in most school elections.

In selecting her candidate, Simran particularly looked for the experience the candidates previously had as well as concrete information in their speeches as opposed to “empty promises.”

Juniors Rahul Sridhar and Ravi Bhandia also agreed that voting allowed students to express their voices.

“If you want to have any say in what the student council of the next year is going to be like, what policies they pursue, you can show that by voting,” Rahul said.

Results for ASB positions will be revealed next week. The top eight candidates of Honor Council will advance after yesterday’s election, and voting for the top three candidates will occur next Wednesday, April 24.