Entrepreneurial advice: Scott McNealy speaks to students

Scott McNealy presents to a group of students and faculty, giving advice about starting a company. For business-focused students, the session was both entertaining and informative.

Scott McNealy, co-founder of Sun Microsystems, talked to a group of students and faculty about his entrepreneurial experiences during long lunch today.

McNealy began his talk by praising the school because he believes that it teaches students enough information that they could theoretically start a business without having to attend college.

In his own take on David Letterman’s top 10 lists, McNealy proceeded to comically share 10 signs of potential entrepreneurship.

According to his list, “[having] really rich friends who are willing to lose money, [living] in a three room apartment with 12 recent Stanford graduates,” and “[thinking that] going to the tech fair at Moscone would be a great first date,” are all positive indications for a future company.

Following these remarks, McNealy offered insight into “what you don’t learn in business school,” with advice about starting, funding, and selling a company.

He touched on family matters that can make or break a company in its early stages, such as starting before having kids and finding the right spouse. Primarily, he stressed the importance of beginning with a disputable idea.

“If you’re going to go start a company, make sure you have a controversial strategy,” McNealy said. “If people think your idea is a little wacky, that’s ok. The real trick is you have to be right.”

For the financial side of entrepreneurship, he advised against using one’s own money for the first attempt at creating a successful enterprise due to the large propensity for error.

Another crucial part of McNealy’s success was learning to sell his business. After presenting a product and being turned down, his tactic is simply a repetitive series of asking what needs to be changed, fixing those components, and bringing it back until the buyer eventually gives in.

For students who attended, the majority of whom participate in DECA or take economics class, this session provided useful insight into how to pursue entrepreneurship as a possible career path.

“I really thought it was helpful,” Ryan Pachauri (10) said. “He wasn’t talking about just business; he told us how to have a life.”

Concluding with a question and answer session, McNealy’s talk proved to be both entertaining and educational for many attendees, providing valuable insight into the world of entrepreneurship.