Madness in the making: NCAA tournaments begin

It is that time of year when basketball fans all across the country are sent into a frenzy.

March Madness, also known as the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournaments, occurs each year during spring when 68 teams compete for the national championship title of college basketball in a single-elimination style tournament over several weeks.

Basketball enthusiasts everywhere have started betting over the games and discussing the teams that they have chosen to win each round, known as their “brackets.”

President Barack Obama participates each year because of his love of the sport. This year he believes that Indiana University will triumph over University of Louisville in the finals.

Even those who have not watched basketball before have been caught up in the moment of choosing their bracket.

“I have no idea how college basketball works […] I guessed,” said Albert Chu (11) when asked about how he picked his bracket.

Several student groups on campus have been forming brackets such as the seniors, the journalism program, and Julie Wheeler’s AP US History classes.

Wheeler has been running a March Madness bracket for three years now, ever since she started teaching AP US History, because it is both relevant to her class and fun for the students.

“March Madness is a huge cultural event in America and is fun because of the potential offset and how anything can happen,” she said. “It is such a friendly competition, and it brings us closer together.

Freshman Raghav Jain has been choosing brackets for three years because he likes to see how close the results come to his predictions.

“It is always fun to see which predictions you get right and which ones you get wrong,” he said.

The Final Four championship game will be held on April 6 at Georgia Dome, Atlanta.