“Sundae Friends”: Key Club sells Pinkberry for charity

Students gather in front of Manzanita to purchase Pinkberry frozen yogurt. This event was held by Key Club to raise funds for non-profit organization Sunday Friends.

Blustering winds and dark skies did not cloud over Key Club’s “Sundae Friends” frozen yogurt fundraiser on Thursday, March 7.

Over 45 pounds of Pinkberry’s signature “Swirly Goodness” was sold to the student body to support non-profit organization Sunday Friends, which provides support to low-income families. The frozen yogurt, including unlimited toppings, was priced at $5 for charges to student accounts and $4 for cash payments.

Students could choose among three flavors, chocolate hazelnut, caramel, and original, as well as a variety of different fruit, candy, and dry toppings. The frozen yogurt was sold during the advisory comments period, both lunches, and after school.

“Sundae Friends” was originally intended to be an ice cream sundae fundraiser, but it was modified when Key Club officers collectively decided that selling Pinkberry frozen yogurt would be better received by the community and thus more profitable.

“Frozen yogurt is often the healthier option. Unlike ice cream, it’s also a unique good to carry,” Officer of Public Relations Jerry Shen (11) said.

With this fundraiser, Key Club is making strides into untraveled territory, as frozen yogurt had never been sold at school before. The potential for a high margin of profit, however, was accompanied by a considerable degree of risk, especially because purchasing the Pinkberry was such a large investment.

“It was definitely a difficult decision for us because of the high cost associated with buying the Pinkberry. However, a lot of us [officers] decided that it would be worth it,” Alan said.

Many freshmen and officers-in-training in the club contributed to the fundraiser by making signs, serving food, and working as cashiers.

“I personally have never really helped out with any sort of fundraiser before, and I had a lot of fun being part of this,” officer-in-training Victoria Ding (9) said. “Watching people lining up to buy Pinkberry was satisfying because all the profit would be going towards a charity.”

Key Club faced several complications while organizing the fundraiser. While the club was initially supposed to receive a grant for free frozen yogurt from Pinkberry, the supplier was unable to follow through. Despite this obstacle, Key Club was able to purchase the frozen yogurt at a slight discount and decided to hold the fundraiser.

Several students appreciated the originality of the fundraiser but also cited that it seemed ineffective for certain reasons.

“I thought the [fundraiser] was a nice idea that departed from the regular bake sales that are always going on, but it doesn’t seem as if it would be as much of a profit,” Shreyas Parthasarathy (11) said. “Also, the weather prediction [was] bad.”

Some students, such as Janet Lee (9), would have liked more flavors “like mango or pomegranate and more fresh fruit toppings.”

By the end of the day, all of the Pinkberry was sold out and Key Club had racked in over $400 in revenue.

“We’re really happy about the turnout, and we hope the student body continues to come out to support our cause,” Alan said.

Key Club will be selling Pinkberry tomorrow in front of Manzanita during advisory, lunch, and after school to cap off the week.