Distracted driving simulations educate students

Senior Katherine Woodruff attempts to walk in a straight line, heel to toe, while wearing vision-impairing goggles. Students were able to experience the dangers of distracted driving through both the online and physical simulations.

Samar Malik

Samar Malik

Samar Malik

by Samar Malik

The Living with Intent Focus and Enthusiasm (L.I.F.E.) board hosted two driving simulations during advisory and both lunches today to raise awareness about the life-threatening risks of distracted driving.

During advisory, some students participated in an online texting and driving simulation which provided an analysis on the user’s increase in reaction time and driving accuracy while distracted. Additionally, users were presented with facts about accidents and deaths caused by drivers who were texting behind the wheel.

The simulation was designed to bring the risks of texting and driving to surface and encourage safe driving habits while on the road.

“These statistics prove that [a message] you want to text to a friend isn’t nearly as important as having your life being taken away within a few seconds, [which] is a large price to pay for something that can wait,” Reyhan Kader (12) said.

Furthermore, the L.I.F.E. board held a drunk driving simulation during both lunch periods in which participants would attempt to maneuver around cones and walk in a straight line while wearing vision-impairing goggles.

The goggles are intended to reproduce the effect alcohol has on one’s vision and ability to navigate properly. Most students struggled to even walk in a straight line.

Freshman Gwen Howard prompted the L.I.F.E. board to raise awareness about the threats of distracted driving.

“People really need to realize that [distracted driving] isn’t something casual. If you can’t even walk, you can’t handle a car,” she said.

Impact Teen Drivers volunteer Dustin Odell helped facilitate the event to educate students about the risks of distracted driving in general.

“Keeping your eyes off the road and texting while driving [are] the number one killers of teens. Instead of suicides and murders, the number one killer is […] distracted driving,” Odell said.

Participants noted that the difficulty the goggles presented made them much more aware of the risks at stake when drunk driving.

“Before, I didn’t know that drunk driving had such a large impact on [your vision]. After trying this, I realized how dangerous it can be if someone who is drunk were driving,” Tong Wu (9) said.

Several students were able to witness firsthand the risks of distracted driving and, as both simulations encouraged, now have further reason to take extra precautions for the sake of themselves and those around them.

About the Writer
Samar Malik, The Winged Post Lifestyle Editor

Samar Malik is the Lifestyle Editor of The Winged Post. She joined the journalism program her sophomore year, during which she placed second in the International...