Spring sports: Lacrosse gets into gear with addition of winter athletes

With a larger size from the addition of winter sports athletes, the lacrosse team warms up with cardiovascular exercises and basic drills. The practices are currently geared towards familiarizing players with the game, and it will soon transition to team drills and plays.

While lacrosse practices technically commenced weeks ago, the end of winter sports and dance is contributing to a rise in both old and new players as the team comes together into full swing.

Because practice on Monday was canceled due to a lightning warning, Tuesday marked the first official day of practice with all winter athletes attending. It was also English teacher Jason Berry’s first day as new assistant coach and the team’s first two-hour practice in contrast to the former one hour and 15 minutes.

“[Lacrosse] has barely started. We’ve just got Davis field back from the soccer kids,” team member Jessica Son (12) said. “We have a lot of people coming out and trying out so that’s pretty good.”

Junior Julia Fink, who started lacrosse as a freshman, played her last soccer game of the year over winter break and will now be joining the lacrosse team in its practices. Going straight from soccer to lacrosse allows little time for transition.

“I think fitness-wise, [transitioning from soccer to lacrosse] is not going to be difficult, but they’re completely different sports, like you were using your feet and now you are using your hands,” she said. “The running and strategy are similar, kind of, and the field is the same size, but other than that, the actual technique of playing lacrosse versus playing soccer is like night and day.”

Currently, practices are focused on introducing the basics of the game to new players and re-familiarizing returning players. When the full team is present, practices can move on to incorporate more team-based activities and going over plays.

“[I expect] lots of team unity,” returning member Hannah Bollar (10) said. “We’ve always had that from the big road trips because the games are far away, but also our practices are going to get more intense. Once we have everybody here, we can work on actually doing team drills and plays.”

For many players, the start of the season looks immensely promising, and they hold high hopes for their success in league games.

“My expectations for the lacrosse season are based upon what the girls want,” head coach Andrew Irvine said. “As a coach, I always have my hopes that we’re going to do as well as possible, and this year in particular, we have a wonderful lineup of experienced players who I think have the potential of doing the best we’ve ever done for the lacrosse program, but at the same time, it’s up to them.”

After the Fashion Show this Friday, several lacrosse players who are involved in its production will also join the team next Monday.