Grand opening of new student store Eagle Express

Eagle Express Customer Kunal Mehta (9) reaches for a sweatshirt to try on. The Eagle Express had $350 in sales within two days of its opening.

What was once a dilapidated kitchen storage space and a snack bar at different points in time has been transformed into a room filled with “Harker swag,” as the Eagle Express student store enters its first week of sales.

The store, situated in the middle of the Edge, had its grand opening on February 1 and currently carries apparel such as sweatshirts, water bottles, and stationary.

“I like the sweatshirts mostly. They’re really cozy and warm, and they also have the Harker logo on it so I can show off my school pride,” Delaney Martin (10) said.

Sweatshirts are one of the most popular items at the store, which carries a variety of different designs and materials with variations on the Harker logo. Walking into the store, Kunal Mehta (9) liked a green sweatshirt enough to purchase one.

“Well, my friend got [the sweatshirt], I saw him with it, and it looked really nice. It’s also by Nike,” Kunal said, explaining the reasons for his purchase.

Similar to Delaney, he finds it important that the Harker logo is on the item to promote school spirit, another reason for the sweatshirts’ popularity.

Other students do not see themselves visiting the store anytime soon. Additionally, many students are completely unaware of the store’s existence.

“I don’t really care about it. It’s ok, but I’m not actually going to buy stuff from it. I don’t think [the products] are worthwhile to spend money on,” Elina Sendonaris (9) said.

To many potential customers, cost is a paramount factor. Sophomore Elizabeth Bettencourt appreciates the Eagle Express for discounts it offers to customers. The store’s clearance rack offers older items from $5 and up, a fraction of the $40 to $60 cost of the store’s new sweatshirts.

“The items they have on clearance are cheaper than the original price, which is a little much,” Elizabeth said.

According to Sahithya Prakash (11) who heads the Eagle Express with David Lindars (12), sales have been high. She estimates that in just the first two days of its opening, the store has gained more than $350 in raw sales.

“On Friday, this senior wanted to buy a lot for his team, so he bought $200 worth. That was a really good indication of how much people wanted this store to open up,” Sahithya said.

The Eagle Express was conceived by the Student Council, and the store’s name was chosen in a naming competition earlier in the school year. Members of the online bookstore, staff members, and Dean of Students Kevin Williamson provide support and help take inventory, while the store is staffed completely by students.

The Eagle Express is not the first student accessible convenience store on the Upper School campus. The student bookstore, while it had a physical presence on campus, carried some sweatshirts and stationary in its inventory until it moved completely online in 2012. By contrast, the new store does not carry textbooks, instead focusing exclusively on student convenience items branded in its advertising campaign as “Harker Swag.”

The Eagle Express is open Tuesday and Thursday after school as well as during long lunch on Wednesdays.