Australian students visit during their trip to Silicon Valley

After school meeting is dismissed, the Code Cadets walk from the gym to Nichols in a group. Assistant technology director Diane Main led the boys to the third period computer science class they planned to attend.

As one of multiple destinations on their visit to Silicon Valley, the Upper School welcomed students from the Canberra Boys Grammar School to participate in computer science classes on Monday, January 28.

Arriving in the morning at 7:30 a.m., the Australian students met with Assistant Director of Instructional Technology Diane Main, Computer Science Department Chair Eric Nelson, and Global Education Director Jennifer Walrod while served breakfast in the faculty dining room.

Before attending a second period computer science class and third period Digital World course, the Australian students sat among Upper School students during school meeting, in which Walrod announced their visit. In Digital World, they explained their plans to tour the Silicon Valley; after stopping by the Upper School, they will visit Google and Cisco, attend MacIT to present on iOS development, and join Macworld/iWorld 2013, an event celebrating Apple products.

“I think it was really cool that they had the opportunity to come from Australia to the U.S. to learn about and see what we learn about computer science. Overall, they were extremely friendly and a pleasure to meet,” said Sonali Netke (10), who was in the third period Digital World class.

A group of boys interested in technology from grade seven to 12, the students, visiting Silicon Valley for its computer and technology-based community, call themselves the Code Cadets.

“I’ve always had a computer ready and on hand, so I’ve always been very interested in using that in making games and powerpoints. It’s fun,” grade 10 student Andrew Hall said.

Prior to their visit to the Upper School, the Code Cadets have attended computer science conferences in California and Australia, including Australia’s Swipe Conference.

“I didn’t get to meet them, but I think it is a really great idea for us to interact with lots of other schools and meet people from all over the world who have similar interests and goals,” Nikhil Agarwal (12) said.

During sixth period lunch, the Australian students showed their iOS applications, which they created for their major app development projects throughout last semester, to Upper School computer science students.

“After polling the boys, they are very interested in speaking with [the] students about their IT and computer science courses-particularly the work which they complete within the courses, such as projects-together with how [the Upper School] generates interest in these courses,” said Walrod regarding the Code Cadet’s anticipation of their time at the Upper School.

After having lunch with Upper School computer science students, the Code Cadets left the campus to continue their tour in the Bay Area.