WiSTEM holds quiz bowl event for STEM week

A team of students listens to trivia questions being read in the quiz bowl competition. This event was held as part of STEM week, which aims to raise money and awareness for STEM fields and charities.

In a test of knowledge, speed, and class spirit, students competed during both lunches today in a science-oriented trivia tournament organized by Women in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (WiSTEM).

The seniors won during fifth period and the freshmen won during sixth period in the competition, which was part of WiSTEM’s STEM week spirit activities.

For the trivia, each student first tried to buzz in before the other team on a tossup question, which could cover anything from earthquakes to frog anatomy. The team that scored could then collaborate on a related bonus question for extra points. Overall scoring was based not only on points in the competition, but also on participation.

According to WiSTEM secretary Daniela Lee (10), the event was not as successful as she had hoped due to low participation, but the participants enjoyed it nonetheless.

“Only a few of them actually knew the answers to most of the questions, but seeing people’s reactions to the challenging ones was hilarious,” she said.

Freshman Michael Zhao participated and described the quiz bowl as “interactive and fun,” but he also noted a lack of promotion leading up to the event.

“It was a great way to get people into STEM week, but I think STEM week [as a whole] could be improved by advertising more and having more activities,” he said.

The purpose of these spirit activities was to raise awareness for STEM causes as well as promote the Upper School’s STEM-related clubs.

“The robot race [on Tuesday] and the quiz bowl were ways for students who don’t usually have the opportunity to participate in these clubs to have a chance to learn about them,” WiSTEM member Andy Wang (11) said.

Points from today’s event will contribute to each grade’s ongoing totals for STEM week. At the end of the week, these points will determine how much of WiSTEM’s donations are sent to each class’s chosen charity.

“STEM week was about helping people around the world through our causes, but it was also about having the whole school come together in support of science,” WiSTEM treasurer Kristine Lin (11) said.

The final STEM activity, the Chemistry Magic Show, will be held during lunch tomorrow by Chemistry Club.