Kicks Against Cancer: Merchandise sold by soccer teams

Senior captains of the girls Varsity soccer team Wendy Shwe and Amy Gendotti sell a Kicks Against Cancer T-shirt during lunch. The girls will be playing against Eastside College Prep on January 25 when more sales will be taking place.

Starting this week until next Friday, both girls and boys Varsity soccer teams are selling bracelets, shirts, raffle tickets, and hair ties during lunch to support the annual Kicks Against Cancer fundraiser for Camp Okizu.

All the proceedings from the various sales at the game and the days preceding it are donated to Camp Okizu, an organization with a chief purpose of providing continual support to families who have been affected by childhood cancer.

Girls Varsity team captains Wendy Shwe (12) and Amy Gendotti (12) believe that Kicks Against Cancer is an opportunity for the members to represent the school in a grand scale and see its unity as they combat cancer.

“I truly love playing in the game, but it is also cool to see everybody together in the stand with their purple shirts. That’s my favorite part of it all.” Amy said.

Wendy further noted that more subtle aspects of the event and its attendees are what make Kicks Against Cancer so memorable and enjoyable.

“Seeing all the families [suffering from cancer] during half time get the checks […] it’s always the best part,” Wendy said. “I just think that it is a good way to see both the Varsity soccer teams play and to support these families.”

Although some annual traditions, such as “Butts Off,” in which teachers turn around and allow students to kick them with soccer balls, will continue at the game, soccer team members are looking to elicit greater involvement from the audience with other planned events.

“We are trying to find new ways for different student participation,” Amy said. “Even though we are going to still have Butts Off again, […] we are going to see [how to] involve the students more during the actual game.”

Another change this year is the expansion of raffle donations, allowing raffle winners to gain a larger variety of prizes.

Although T-shirts just arrived today, the soccer team members are confident that sales are far from over. Kicks Against Cancer will take place on January 25 when the girls Varsity soccer team will play against Eastside College Prep, and the boys Varsity team will challenge Pinewood School.