Cookies shared in remembrance of Howard Nichols

Students enjoy cookies, one of Howard Nichols’ favorite treats, in memory of him. Head of School Christopher Nikoloff talked about Nichols’ life during school meeting on Monday, October 15.

During school meeting on Monday, Head of School Christopher Nikoloff made an announcement in memory of Howard Nichols, founder of the Upper School.

Addressing the student body, Nikoloff remembered Nichols, who passed away in 2008 of cancer. According to Nikoloff, Nichols was a cheerful person who always smiled and loved to work with students.

Nikoloff mentioned that Nichols was the one who merged the Palo Alto Military Academy and The Harker Day School into the present school. Nichols donated the school to itself, establishing it as a non-profit in the 1960s. Since then, he worked until 2005, when he retired.

In addition to establishing the school, Nichols gifted the science building  Nichols Hall, which had been dedicated in honor of him and his wife, Diana Nichols, who also actively participated in school functions and is currently the Chairman of the Board of Trustees.

After the announcement, students enjoyed a treat of cookies, which were a personal favorite of Nichols’, and were always kept in a jar in his office. The cookies were a way to remember the gentleman who did so much for the school, according to Nikoloff.

“I personally didn’t know Mr. Nichols, but it’s cool that the school is doing something that new students recognize him for the work he’s done. It’s a nice tribute,” Arjun Goyal (11) said.

Science teacher Anita Chetty, who has taught at the high school for 11 years, spoke about Nichols at the senior class meeting last week. She greatly admired him for his compassion and loyalty.

“He was able to make his employees feel so valued that they felt like they were a part of his family,” she said. “Mr. Nichols earned the respect from his employees simply by showing […] that he valued them so much and that he cared about them. I felt as though he was like an uncle that I could always go to and share my problems with.”

According to Chetty, the traditions that Nichols began still influence the school community today.

“He set the tone [when] he did not act as though he was above us. He was one of us. The team [aspect] is so entrenched in the community that even though he retired, [it is] such a big part of our culture that it continues to exist,” she said.

The school day concluded with a bell featuring the Cookie Monster theme song in remembrance of Nichols.