Varsity girls golf send seniors off with gifts and goodbyes

Provided by Ie-Chen Cheng
Seniors Katelyn Hsu, Emi Fujimura and Metrica Shi smile with their coach Ie-Chen Cheng. The team plays in a lighthearted nine-hole round at Los Lagos golf course every year.

Varsity girls golf celebrated seniors Emi Fujimura, Katelyn Hsu and Metrica Shi at Los Lagos golf course on May 11.

Per the team’s tradition, the girls commemorated senior night with a lighthearted nine-hole round, where they played against each other in separate groups. The team gathered to watch the seniors complete their final hole, cheering them on with handmade posters and flowers.

“Preparing for senior night was really fun because we made posters for each senior with small notes that every golfer wrote,” varsity girls golf player Anika Pallapothu (11) said. “We had a great time preparing everything, from the gifts to the food.”

After the game, head golf coach Ie-Chen Cheng delivered a speech for each senior, addressing friends and family who came to support them. The team members took turns sharing their favorite memories with the seniors throughout the season, starting off with the juniors, followed by the sophomores and then the freshmen. The seniors then expressed their gratitude and thanked everyone for attending the event.

“The best part of senior night is to express our experience [with] each of the senior golfers,” Cheng said. “We express our gratefulness to our seniors for leading the path in our journey the past four years or longer.”

Golf teammates gift varsity girls golf captain Emi Fujimura (12) a personalized scrapbook and flowers on senior night. The team also bought snacks, accessories and other college necessities for the seniors. (Ashley Mo)

Following the speeches, the team gifted the seniors personalized scrapbooks with pictures, along with bags containing snacks, accessories and other college necessities. As the sun set at Los Lagos, the girls ate dinner together at the golf course, concluding the evening with final hugs and goodbyes.

“I really enjoyed playing with the girls one last time and just hanging out,” Katelyn said. “I’m really grateful for all the opportunities and guidance that the coaches provided us these past seasons, and I’m really glad that I chose to play golf in high school. Senior night reminded me of all the fun times we had in the fall, and I’ll definitely continue playing golf in the future because of the wonderful team experience.”

The girls ended their fall season with a clean league record of 16-0 last year and advanced to States for the first time in Harker history.