Looking into the new SAT

The College  Board announced last Wednesday sweeping changes to the SAT effective in 2016, saying that the new test will focus more on assessing skills necessary for students in academic and professional environments.

Among the changes are the abolishment of a penalty for guessing incorrectly, making the essay an optional, and redesigning vocabulary questions to test for words more likely to be encountered in the classroom or workplace.

Countering criticisms  that the SAT benefits wealthy children who can afford preparation classes, the College Board will team with Khan Academy to offer test-preparation materials online for free.

Students who take the test and meet certain income-specific eligibility requirements will receive four fee waivers for college applications.

“I think that’s a step in the right direction,” college counselor Kevin Lum Lung said. “I think it’s great, and hopefully it’s not just for PR. Hopefully it’s something that students can use and it’s really good quality preparation for them.”

According to a survey of 166 seniors collected by the college counseling department in December, 69 percent of Harker students used a test preparation company to help study for the SAT or ACT.

With the changes set to take place in 2016,  this year’s freshman class will be the first to take the new test, in their junior year.

“I guess it will make it easier and less stressful,” Hazal Gurcan (9) said. “For the essay part, I guess it’s kind of more relieving because I don’t like writing essays.”

Many of these changes make the SAT more similar to the ACT, its chief rival in college admissions testing.

The ACT currently offers students the opportunity to take the exam with or without the writing component and does not penalize for wrong answers on multiple choice questions.

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on Mar. 12, 2014.