House Student STEM App challenge seeks applicants

eshoo.house.gov

Contestants of the House Student STEM App Challenge must submit their Apps and corresponding packages by April 30.

The 18th Congressional District initiated the ongoing House Student App Challenge as a part of the first annual Congressional Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Academic Competition on Feb. 1.

To participate, students must formulate an app for mobiles, laptops, or tablets, and upload either a YouTube or VIMEO video describing the fundamentals of the app by April 30.

Junior Suraya Shivji (11)  decided to take part in the challenge upon reading about it in the school newspaper, The Winged Post.

Qualifications include those who are at least 13 years old as of Feb. 1, 2014 and who either attend or are eligible to attend public school. Students may apply in teams of up to four members, at least two of whom meet the previous conditions specified.

The challenge requires a two step registration: students must first register for the House Student App Challenge to confirm eligibility before registering at the official site of the challenge to officially submit their application.

All submissions will be judged based on the programming skills, implementation, and quality of idea.  A board of qualified individuals will assess the submitted apps and select one from every participating district to display on the U.S. House of Representatives’ webpage and the U.S. Capitol array. An awards ceremony for the congressional district winners will follow this summer.

“This is a great opportunity for high school students because a lot of these hackathons in the Bay Area are more tailored toward college students,” David Lin (11) said.

For more information and additional tips, visit www.eshoo.house.gov.