Fundraiser slam dunk: B-Ball competition held by Key Club

Freshman Edwards Sheu shoots a basket as the other members of the freshman team look on. The Key Club basketball tournament took place during long lunch on Wednesday, March 6.

A din filled the gym as teams of freshmen, sophomores, and seniors participated in Key Club’s basketball competition. Basketballs smacked against the floor, shouts echoed back and forth, and time ticked away.

The competition was held during long lunch today to raise money for Sunday Friends, a nonprofit that supports low-income families. Team from each class competed to make the greatest number of baskets within a time limit.

A $50 entry fee was required from each class in order to participate; other bonuses, including extra time, were available with additional money. The seniors won the competition after scoring 19 baskets, while the sophomores scored six, and the freshmen three. The juniors, failing to pay the entry fee, were automatically disqualified.

Junior class treasurer Rohith Bhethanabotla explained the two main factors that led to the juniors’ choice to forgo the event. First, all AP US History students were required to attend a lottery during long lunch to choose research topics, meaning that “around 120 of the 180 kids in [the junior class] had to wait” and were forced to miss the basketball event.

Secondly, Rohith was frustrated by Key Club’s rules, which he perceived to be confusing.

“The event times were never clear and the rules vague, so we didn’t even know when we should show up with our teams,” he said. “The whole $50 fee even confused us more. We weren’t sure what we had to do.”

Rohith clarified that while the juniors abstained from the basketball competition, the class “wholeheartedly [supports] Key Club and Sunday Friends” and continues to support the club through other fundraisers.

Although only three of the four classes were involved, Key Club chapter leader Connie Li (11) was pleased by the contributions and thought the fundraiser was very successful.

“We raised a good amount of money [from the competition], more than the required entry fees combined,” she said.

Key Club President Alan Soetikno (12) agreed.

“[The basketball competition] was a good way to raise money,” he said.

Many spectators at the competition enjoyed themselves, regardless of the game’s outcome.

“I had a lot of fun. It’s too bad [the freshmen] didn’t win,” Raghav Jain (9) said.

The basketball event was one element of Key Club’s fundraiser week. Bake sales will continue throughout the rest of the week. The much-anticipated Pinkberry fundraiser will take place during advisory, lunch, and after school, starting tomorrow.