The Class of 2023 laughs while listening to Jack Hsiehs (23) valedictorian speech. This year’s graduation marked a school milestone, with the Class of 2023 joining alumni as the 20th graduating class.
The Class of 2023 laughs while listening to Jack Hsieh’s (’23) valedictorian speech. This year’s graduation marked a school milestone, with the Class of 2023 joining alumni as the 20th graduating class.
Katelyn Zhao

Class of 2023 graduates at Mountain Winery

“Clouds by nature are ephemeral, and our time at Harker has been transitory,” valedictorian Jack Hsieh (‘23) said during his speech at the Class of 2023’s graduation ceremony.

Valedictorian Jack Hsieh (‘23) delivers his speech to the Class of 2023. The Class of 2023 graduated on May 18. (Alena Suleiman)

The Class of 2023 graduated on May 18 at Saratoga’s Mountain Winery and will soon enter unfamiliar environments as Harker students return to campus this fall. Like clouds that transform into new configurations, the recent graduates will undergo changes as they adjust to their new routines. Graduations represent both an end and a beginning, a celebration of the past and a welcome of the future. In particular, this year’s graduation marks a school milestone, with the Class of 2023 joining alumni as the 20th graduating class.

The graduation ceremony commenced at 5 p.m., beginning with the Harker Chamber Orchestra’s performance of Antonin Dvorak’s American Suite conducted by orchestra teacher Jaco Wong. As the Class of 2023 entered the amphitheater, they followed with a rendition of “Pomp & Circumstance.” Senior advisers and administrators then followed the seniors and took their seats on stage.

Assistant Head of School for Academic Affairs Jennifer Gargano took to the podium, welcoming the audience to the 2023 commencement exercises and inviting everyone to rise for the Star Spangled Banner. Graduate Sawyer Lai (‘23) conducted the national anthem, sung by the graduation chorus consisting of Harker vocal groups Camerata, Cantilena, Bel Canto and Downbeat. 

Keynote speaker Maheen Kaleem (‘03) talks about the importance of making a difference in one’s community. She recalled when she and her peers organized a ‘jeans rebellion’ to protest the dress code at Harker. (Katelyn Zhao)

Upper School Division Head Paul Barsky introduced Jack, who delivered his valedictory address to the seniors. His speech centered around the senior class’ memories from the last four years as well as his experiences with branching out with his interests. He ended his address by comparing the senior class to clouds, encouraging his peers to embrace spontaneity.  

“In the grand scheme of our lives, four years is quite short, and in the grand scheme of the universe, our lives are shorter still,” Jack said. “But that’s exactly why it is so much more important to open ourselves up to different random experiences outside any plans we have for ourselves.”

The opposite of fear is hope. We can choose to approach our decisions in life with a lens that sees positive opportunities in the future rather than all of the prospective pitfalls

— Brian Yager

After a performance of “We Are All The Stars” by the graduation chorus, directed by vocal music teacher Susan Nace, Gargano presented keynote speaker Maheen Kaleem (‘03). Kaleem, who works as the Deputy Director of Grantmakers for Girls of Color, talked about the importance of making a difference in one’s community, imploring those around her to take pride in themselves and make an impact in the world. She recalled her own memories made at Harker, like when she and her peers organized a ‘jeans rebellion’ to protest the dress code. After the guest talk, class of 2023 graduate Jacob Fernandez conducted the graduation chorus for the Harker School Song.

Head of School Brian Yager addressed the seniors in a speech about the power of one’s community and finding hope even in the darkest times. He referenced popular early 19th and 20th century authors Zane Grey and John Steinbeck and their fondness for natural beauty in the state of Texas.

Graduate Samvita Gautham (’23) poses with Head of School Brian Yager at the commencement ceremony on May 18. Each senior walked across the stage and received their diploma before taking pictures with Yager and Upper School Head Paul Barsky. (Alena Suleiman)

“The opposite of fear is hope,” Yager said. “We can choose to approach our decisions in life with a lens that sees positive opportunities in the future rather than all of the prospective pitfalls. While it might simply be a question of semantics and changing perspective, surely life is better if we seek the light rather than avoiding the dark…in the many instances in which Steinbeck found good in the America he observed, it was often because he found people watering the grass and not the rocks.” 

After Yager’s speech, seniors walked to the stage to receive their diplomas, and senior class dean Brian Larsen announced the graduates’ names. When called, each senior walked across the stage and received their diploma from Yager. Once all graduates accepted their diplomas and returned to their seats, they turned their tassels from right to left, representing their transition from high school to beyond. Yager formally introduced the class of 2023, and 192 graduation caps flew into the air.

“Of course, it’s sad to be leaving this amazing Harker community and to be saying goodbye to the friends I’ve made over the past eight years,” Rupert Chen (‘23) said. “But at the same time, I’m so excited to see what’s in store in the future for me and my classmates and to watch us as we go into the world.”

I’m so excited to see what’s in store in the future for me and my classmates and to watch us as we go into the world

— Rupert Chen ('23)

As the faculty and graduates filed out, the orchestra performed “Pomp and Circumstance” once again while the ceremony came to a close. Outside of the theater, seniors congratulated each other and took photos with friends, teachers and faculty, who wished them luck in their new endeavors. Saahira Dayal (11) reflected on the ceremony and how it felt to watch the class graduate.

“I feel incredibly proud of my [graduating] friends,” Saahira said. “The last four years were not easy by any means, and I’m happy that they were able to put their best foot forward and get through it. This ceremony does feel a bit bittersweet because I will miss the [graduates] a lot, but I know they’re going to do amazing things in the future.”

Members of the Class of 2023 sit together, preparing to turn their tassels from right to left. The symbolic action marked their transition from high school to beyond. (Alena Suleiman)