Varsity baseball team pitches a no-hitter against Jefferson 17-1 on senior night

Non-senior members on the team signed a baseball in honor of the seniors. The signed baseballs were presented to the seniors at the end of the game.
Kevin Zhang
Seniors Lachlan Rossi, Nathan Liu and Daniel Lin pose for a photo with handmade posters celebrating Nathan. “Our senior night game was the perfect send-off for us seniors since everyone had their moment to shine and demonstrated why this team feels so special to me,” Nathan said.

Varsity baseball conquered Jefferson High School 17-1 in their season’s first hitless game during their senior night game at Washington Park on May 10. Jefferson scored their only run through an error that advanced a runner and so did not count as a hit. 

Head coach Michael Delfino commenced the celebration with speeches honoring seniors Sebastian Dionne, Adi Jain, Jack Ledford, Jerry Li, Nathan Liu, Nikhil Ranjit, Chirant Shekar and Brandon Zau. After presenting each senior with flowers, family members walked them across the diamond. 

Seniors Lachlan Rossi, Nathan Liu and Daniel Lin pose for a photo with handmade posters celebrating Nathan. “Our senior night game was the perfect send-off for us seniors since everyone had their moment to shine and demonstrated why this team feels so special to me,” Nathan said. (Kevin Zhang)
Senior Brandon Zau prepares to swing at the baseball. Brandon scored the first run of the game against Jefferson High School.

“The seniors are hard workers and really improved their years on the team,” Delfino said in his speech. “Some did not have a lot of baseball experience prior to high school but have shown tremendous work ethic and have been invaluable contributors to us, both in practice and in games. We’re certainly going to miss them.” 

Continuing a Harker tradition that dates back seven years, the seniors’ mothers came to the diamond at the end of the ceremony to throw the first pitch to their sons. 

Co-captain and pitcher Adi threw for Harker in the first inning, with catcher and infielder Shaurya Jain (9) behind the batter. Adi secured the first out against the Grizzlies, but the second Jefferson batter earned a free walk to first base. Seizing the opportunity, Adi picked off the Grizzly runner who strayed from the base for the inning’s second out. 

Outfielder Brandon headed the Eagles as their lead-off batter and earned a walk to first base. Shaurya’s base hit sent Brandon to home base, allowing him to score the first run of the game. 

Senior Brandon Zau prepares to swing at the baseball. Brandon scored the first run of the game against Jefferson High School. (Kevin Zhang)
Junior Gabe Sachse prepares to throw the baseball from third base to get a Jefferson player out. The Eagles prevented all but one Grizzly from scoring a run.

In the second inning, Harker once again prevented Jefferson from making runs, with third baseman Gabe Sachse (11) tagging out a Grizzly. The Eagles took their turn to bat, led by co-captain and pitcher Jack, but the Grizzlies’ pitcher caught an Eagle’s pop fly, ending Harker’s batting period. 

The Eagles continued to keep the Grizzlies scoreless during the next two innings. Infielder Aarav Borthakur (11)’s hit allowed both outfielder Ryan Pham (9) and Adi, who were on the third and second base respectively, to run home. Maintaining their momentum, the Eagles scored four more runs, extending their lead to 6-0. 

Junior Gabe Sachse prepares to throw the baseball from third base to get a Jefferson player out. The Eagles prevented all but one Grizzly from scoring a run. (Kevin Zhang)
Junior Aarav Borthakur slides safely to home base. The Eagles scored 17 runs against the Grizzlies during their senior night game.

“It’s really fun in the audience because whenever one of our players does well, there’s a lot of cheering,” spectator Chloe Lee (12) said. “Especially because it’s senior night, a lot of friends came, it’s nice how even though it’s not at Harker, everyone came to support with posters and flowers.”

In the sixth inning, the Eagles gained eight runs with the Grizzlies still at zero runs. With Adi and Jack as the pitchers, Harker effectively shut out Jefferson.  

“I don’t think senior night could’ve gone any better,” Jack said. “Obviously, the highlight was Adi and me throwing a combined No-Hitter. Getting to share that accomplishment with one of my close friends in our last game was something I’ll never forget.”

Junior Aarav Borthakur slides safely to home base. The Eagles scored 17 runs against the Grizzlies during their senior night game. (Kevin Zhang)
Head+coach+Michael+Delfino+leads+the+team%E2%80%99s+chant+before+their+game+starts.+The+team+dominated+Jefferson+High+School+17-1+in+their+season+closer.+
Head coach Michael Delfino leads the team’s chant before their game starts. The team dominated Jefferson High School 17-1 in their season closer. (Tiffany Zhu)

To celebrate their win, the seniors and coaches struck a gong that was brought by students and enjoyed pizza. The team closed off the night by presenting the seniors with baseballs signed by the rest of the players. Nathan, who played his first full season this spring, reflected on the team’s tight-knit community. 

“Our senior night game was the perfect send-off for us seniors since everyone had their moment to shine and demonstrated why this team feels so special to me,” Nathan said. “The chemistry and bond I built with this team made my teammates feel like family. I know this team will go on to do big things after this year’s senior class graduates.”

The team concluded their season with a league record of 8-7 and finished third in the Peninsula-Lake League.