• Chapters
    • Live election updates
    • Upper school teacher casts first vote as U.S. citizen
    • Man on the street interviews
    • Candidates' scientific policies
    • International reactions
    • Stock market crash
    • Protest voters
    • Third party candidates

Donald Trump wins 2016 presidential election

November 8, 2016

Donald John Trump wins the 2016 presidential election, beating out Hillary Clinton 276 electoral votes to 218 votes, as of 12:15 a.m. on Nov. 9.

Minutes before midnight on Nov. 8, Trump gave a speech at his campaign headquarters in New York City following a speech from his Vice President Mike Pence. He talked about receiving a call from opponent Hillary Clinton and congratulated her for her work, thanked his family and supporters and outlined some of his plans for the country as president.

Donald Trump won key swing states such as Ohio, Michigan and Florida and is the first Head of State that has never had any previous political experience. He is currently 70 years old and was listed by Forbes as the 156th wealthiest person in the world in 2016.

Trump’s real estate career began at his father’s company and from there he expanded to hotels, casinos, golf courses, professional sports teams, and an university. He has also had appearances in multitudes of reality TV shows.

His campaign started in June 2015, when he announced his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination. He was formally nominated in July 2016 at the Republican National Convention. 

Live election updates

Harker Aquila will update this article as results are announced across the United States.

9:10 p.m.: Trump has taken Iowa as per CNN.

9:07 p.m.: Trump just won Utah as per the Washington Post.

8:48 p.m.: Trump has taken Georgia according to the Washington Post.

8:40 p.m.: Clinton has just taken Washington according to Washington Post.

8:33 p.m.: Clinton has taken Washington according to CNN and NBC News.

8:12 p.m.: Trump has taken North Carolina according ABC News.

8:06 p.m.: Clinton has taken California, Hawaii and Oregon, and Trump has taken Idaho. The current electoral count is Clinton’s 197 to Trump’s 201.

7:52 p.m.: Donald Trump has taken Florida with 4.757 million popular votes to Clinton’s 4.441 according to The Washington Post.

7:42 p.m.: Clinton has taken Virginia as well as Colorado according to The Washington Post.

7:28 p.m.: According to CNN, The New York Times, and NBC, Trump has taken Ohio with 2.336 million popular votes to Clinton’s 1.853 million.

7:15 p.m.: Trump has taken Missouri as well as Montana. Clinton has won New Mexico.

6:41 p.m.: Clinton has taken Connecticut.

6:16 p.m.: Trump has taken Texas.

6:09 p.m.: Clinton has taken New York.

6:05 p.m.: Trump has taken Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Louisiana.

6:00 p.m.: Trump has just taken North Dakota, South Dakota, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Wyoming. Clinton has taken Illinois.

5:31 p.m.: Trump has just won Alabama and South Carolina.

5:20 p.m.: Hillary Clinton is leading Michigan as well as Ohio. Trump has now taken the lead from Clinton in Florida.

5:06 p.m.: Hillary Clinton has just won New Jersey and Delaware.

4:30 p.m.: Donald Trump has won Indiana, Kentucky, and West Virginia thus far. Hillary Clinton has won Vermont with 1578 votes to Trump’s 1345. The country awaits results from Ohio.

Upper school teacher casts first vote as U.S. citizen

Upper school chemistry teacher Dr. Mala Raghavan voted for the first time after becoming a U.S. citizen. Watch an interview with her, in which she describes why she became a citizen, why she is voting and much more.

Interviews with people at the polls

man-on-the-streetZachary Hoffman

Ayesha Mohammed, dentist and mother of three: “I would say try to learn as much as you can about the candidates, not all candidates will align perfectly with all of your views, but you need to try and vote for the candidate who you think will serve the country the best.”

Presidential candidates express political stances on scientific issues

In an election with presidential candidates heavily focused on the issues of immigration, women’s rights and the state of the U.S. economy, science has since taken the backseat as a topic of discussion. Despite Donald Trump’s and Hillary Clinton’s lack of focus on the subject during the three presidential debates, both have published stances and expressed their views on many different branches of science.

Astronomy 

Although Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has expressed his belief to the nonprofit science awareness organization ScienceDebate that “a strong space program will encourage our children to seek STEM [education] and will bring millions of jobs and trillions of dollars in investment to this country.” However, he does not consider funding for astronomy exploration and research companies to be a central concern for the United States.

“Our first priority is to restore a strong economic base to this country,” Trump said in response to a question posed in the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics’s (AIAA) May issue of its monthly publication Aerospace America. “If we are growing with all of our people employed and our military readiness back to acceptable levels, then we can take a look at the timeline for sending more people into space.”

On the other hand, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has expressed support for NASA and their plans to launch exploratory expeditions to Mars. She addressed the topic of astronomy at a July 2015 event in Dover, New Hampshire, stating that she “really, really… [supports] the space program” and wants to delve deeper into research regarding asteroids and the potential dangers they pose to people on Earth.

“I would like to see us continue to explore space. There’s a lot for us to keep learning [about]… let’s not back off now,” she said in New Hampshire. “Democrats believe in continuing the spirit of discovery that has animated NASA’s exploration of space over the last half century.”

Public Health

Trump has firmly asserted his disapproval of Obamacare, also known as the Affordable Care Act, a healthcare policy enacted by President Obama in March 2010. Citing “greater rationing of care, higher premiums, less competition and fewer choices [for patients],” Trump plans to repeal Obamacare completely and institute a new health plan that will “broaden healthcare access, make healthcare more affordable and improve the quality of the care available to all Americans.”

“Obamacare is a total disaster. Hillary Clinton wants to save it by making it even more expensive. Doesn’t work, I will REPEAL AND REPLACE!” Trump tweeted on Nov. 3.

While Trump opposes Obamacare, Clinton supports Obama’s healthcare policy and also plans to create a Public Health Rapid Response Fund to allow the U.S. government to “quickly and aggressively respond to major public health crises and pandemics,” a proposal she mentioned to ScienceDebate.

“I’m committed to ramping up our funding for biomedical research and development, including $2 billion per year for Alzheimer’s research,” Clinton wrote in a series of Quora posts in August. “We need to step up mosquito control and abatement, provide families with critical health services, including access to contraception, develop a vaccine… and ensure people know how to protect themselves and their kids.”

Trust in Established Science and Research

Clinton believes the United States should be investing more in scientific research and discovery. In response to a questionnaire by ScienceDebate, Clinton stated that “federal funding of basic research amounts to less than one percent of annual federal spending, yet it is an investment that pays big dividends.” The Democratic presidential candidate also plans to foster collaborative scientific research programs for the government and universities.

The Paris Agreement, an international effort to address the human impacts on climate change and the state of the planet signed in April of this year, has also been praised by Clinton. In a statement released after the Agreement, Clinton stated that she sees the international deal as a “historic step forward in meeting one of the greatest challenges of the 21st century—the global crisis of climate change.”

Although 97 percent of climatologists in the scientific community have reached the conclusion that human activity directly relates to climate change and rising global temperatures, Trump appears to think otherwise. The Republican presidential candidate has dismissed climate change as a “concept… created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive” in a November 2012 tweet.

Trump has also expressed his disapproval of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and plans to decrease funding for the government program, stating that “what they do is a disgrace.” The Trump campaign also plans to repeal Obama’s Clean Power Plan, a 2015 movement introduced to regulate carbon dioxide emissions, and has announced that climate change is “far from this nation’s most pressing national security issue.”

STEM Education

Clinton has vocalized her support of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) programs for K-12 schools and considers exposing young children to computer science and coding to be the most important part of raising a new generation of tech-savvy adults. An extension of President Obama’s “Computer Science for All” initiative, the Clinton campaign pledges to “provide every public school student with access to education in computer science.”

The Democratic presidential candidate has also expressed her interest in promoting educational partnerships between institutions of higher learning and K-12 schools. She also plans to establish schools centering on a STEM education which provide students with “maker spaces,” places to engage in hands-on activities.

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump states that there are “a host of STEM programs already in existence” and plans to reduce funding for the Department of Education. Trump has stated that the Common Core Standards Initiative, an educational program designed to set standards for K-12 reading and math, is a “total disaster.”

“Our top-down-one-size-fits-all approach to education is failing and is actually damaging educational outcomes for our children,” the Trump campaign wrote in response to a questionnaire posted by ScienceDebate. “The management of our public education institutions should be done at the state and local level, not at the Department of Education.”

International nations and leaders react to presidential election

The candidate that succeeds President Barack Obama in the presidency will also succeed the authority to control America’s international relations with key nations the U.S. is involved with.

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump differ in terms of which countries have preexisting relationships with these individuals and which nations have been previously associated with these candidates.

Clinton’s experience as Secretary of State has given her an opportunity to interact with many nations. She dealt with Middle Eastern nations such as Iraq, Iran and Syria as she was in office during the Arab Spring protests in 2011, the making of the Iran nuclear deal and the placement and withdrawal of troops in nations such as Iraq.

“When you look at Clinton, since she served as Secretary of State, she already has a pre-existing relationship with most countries around the world,” AP U.S. Politics and Government teacher Carol Green said. “Most countries already recognize her, most of them are comfortable with her and in most places she has a considerable fanbase. I think you end up having positive relations or at least stable relations.”

However, not all of Clinton’s implemented policies and actions as Secretary of State have been favorable in the eyes of U.S. citizens.

“There wasn’t much that was done well with Clinton as Secretary in terms of foreign relations, especially the Middle East, North Korea [and] Iran,” Robert Varich, vice chair of the the executive committee of the Santa Clara Republican party, said. “Nothing went right, and I’m not saying that from a perspective of the conservative side, I’m saying why did we give so many billions to Iran, why did we trade money for hostages?”

Certain world leaders have shown support for Clinton, including current president Obama.

“She doesn’t just talk the talk she walks the walk. She’s got plans and she’s got details. And she’s read them through and she’s thought them through,” Obama said during a speech at the University of Central Florida.

Meanwhile, Trump has emphasized the tightening of American borders in order to make it a safer country and has proposed future policies to include a wall between the United States and Mexico to prevent illegal immigration.

“With Trump, I think we saw a little of [his proposed policies] when he talked to Mexico; he came and said the meeting with the president of Mexico was a good meeting, and the Mexican president said it was a good meeting,” Varich said. “When they got further away, he said they were paying for the wall, so we’re probably going to have some growing problems.”

World leaders have publicly expressed their opinions on the Republican candidate. Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau opposes Trump’s notion of the border wall between America and Mexico.

“Ultimately, being open and respectful towards each other is much more powerful as a way to diffuse hatred and anger than, you know, layering on, you know, big walls and oppressive policies,” Trudeau said in an interview for “60 minutes” with Lara Logan.

Citizens and leaders from areas such as the United Kingdom and the Middle East have expressed similar views about Trump.

In contrast, Russian president Vladimir Putin has maintained a friendly relationship with Trump, though officials in Moscow have been cautious about overtly voicing support for him. Additionally, Trump has garnered a significant amount of support in China. 

In terms of international trade, Trump has made several statements against current trade agreements, and he plans to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific partnership (TPP) and to renegotiate terms with countries in the North Atlantic Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) to ensure better trade deals for the U.S.

Meanwhile, Clinton has favored a multilateral trade agreement. However, she withdrew support for the TPP, stating that the agreement did not meet her expectations for a trade agreement.

Stock markets crash on eve of election

Stock+markets+abroad+and+domestic+futures+stock+markets+crashed+as+the+possibility+of+a+Trump+presidency+crested.+
Stock markets abroad and domestic futures stock markets crashed as the possibility of a Trump presidency crested.

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Uncertainties surrounding the election have caused domestic and global stock markets to crash.

According to CNN Money, Dow futures fell 4.01% in after-hours trading; Nasdaq futures fell 5.05%; and S&P 500 futures fell 4.87%.

Abroad, the Nikkei Index in Japan fell 4.88% and the Hang Seng in Hong Kong fell 2.82%.

Fears surrounding Trump’s uncertain economic policy seem to have resulted in trader disconfidence.

Harker alumni campaigners speak out against third party protest voters

Harker alumni campaigners speak out against third party protest voters .With many voters dissatisfied with presidential candidates Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, some have turned to protest voting, electing to check the boxes of third-party candidates rather than surrender their ballots to either candidate.

Aside from Trump for the Republicans and Clinton for the Democrats, three other relatively known candidates, Gary Johnson of the Libertarian Party, Jill Stein of the Green Party and Evan McMullin, an independent, grace the 2016 presidential election ballot.

However, some believe protest voting usually ends up becoming a vote with the opposite effect of what the voter had intended.

Sahana Narayanan (‘16) is a part of the Columbia University College Democrats, a student political organization on campus, and she worked at the Hillary Clinton Campaign headquarters in coordination with the Pennsylvania State Democratic Party.

“Talking to a lot of the people this weekend who said they were not going to vote for a third-party like Gary Johnson, we actually had to tell them not voting or voting for a third-party was a vote for Trump,” Narayanan said. “By voting for the other party, you are voting for someone with your opposite viewpoints.”

Some states have seen considerable support for Johnson from voters of all ages, which is especially significant in those states with very close Trump and Hillary support projections.

“Looking at the results right now, there are states where Johnson has some support, and it’s a little disheartening because in those states, Trump and Hillary are close and I think [the votes that Johnson would win] can make a difference,” Narayanan said.

In a poll of upper school students conducted by Harker Aquila, 79.5 percent of students knew what protest voting was, but only 34.2 percent believed that protest voting will have a tangible effect on the election.

“Protest voting is not an efficacious means of raising awareness. It should only come from those who otherwise would not engage in the political process,” Annie Zhou (‘16) said. “Given the bipartisan nature of politics in the United States, protest voting has an effect on the election in that it siphons votes away from heavyweight candidates. Basically, if you’re planning on protest voting, given how close it is, just don’t.”

In a two-party political system like that of the United States, voting for a third-party candidate almost always is the equivalent of not voting at all.

“There [are] two major parties and I think that [choosing another party] is really shortsighted view,” Michael Haider, who participated in the Santa Clara poll, said. “In my opinion, this election, neither candidate was really qualified to become President of the United States, but you have to make a choice. Unfortunately, this is what happened this time but hopefully, it doesn’t happen again.”

Third party candidates pose an alternative to two party system

The 2016 presidential election is certainly one to go down in history. Republican Nominee Donald Trump and Democratic Nominee Hillary Rodham Clinton have both made major headlines in the past year, dominating the media. Typically, voters choose between either the republican nominee or the democratic nominee. This year, however, with all the controversy surrounding both presidential candidates, many voters are seriously considering voting for a third party candidate. Here are this year’s presidential hopefuls:  

Gary Johnson delivers a speech at a rally. Johnson garnered more votes than any other third party candidate.

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Gary Johnson:

Gary Johnson is the Libertarian Party Candidate, and he previously served as the former governor of New Mexico from 1999 to 2003. The Libertarian Party stands for minimal governmental intervention and economic liberalism. Johnson’s economic positions have been viewed as conservative, while his cultural positions lean more towards the liberal side. In this year’s election, he is widely known for having asked “What is Aleppo?” in response to an interview question about the Syrian governorate at the core of the refugee crisis. Johnson’s running mate is decorated attorney William Weld.

Jill Stein speaks at a campaign stop in Omaha, Neb. Stein represents the Green Party.

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Jill Stein:

Jill Stein is the Green Party Candidate. Environmental protection and nonviolence are at the center of the Green Party’s platform, and, as a predominantly left-wing party, it also promotes rights of social equality. As a former activist and physician, Stein spent her career petitioning for improvements in health regulations, and was at the center of many movements advocating for health policy reform. Stein has also attempted to hold political office various times, having been a former gubernatorial and congressional candidate. She also represented the Green Party as a candidate in the 2012 presidential election. Stein’s running mate is former US Human Rights Network director Ajamu Baraka. 

Evan McMullin delivers a speech at a rally. McMullin pulled in a substantial amount of votes in Utah, his home state.

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Evan McMullin:

Evan McMullin is running as an Independent candidate alongside conservative businesswoman Mindy Finn. McMullin has a background in administrative roles, from serving as a CIA operations officer to the policy director for the House Republican Conference. When announcing his campaign, McMullin affirmed that he was contending for president due to his belief that Republican nominee Donald Trump was unfit for office and his opposition against Clinton’s liberal stances. A Utah native, McMullin represents conservative ideologies and has expressed his support for pro-life policies and free trade.