UPDATE: Suspect apprehended in San Leandro

May 8, 2015

The San Jose Police Department (SJPD) have located 31-year-old suspect Mohammad Khaliqi, a San Jose resident, and arrested him on May 8 at approximately 10:25 a.m. at the 1400 block of School St. in San Leandro in connection with the two attempted sexual assaults occurring on April 2 and May 5. According the updated SJPD press release, Khaliqi reportedly showed no signs of resisting arrest when taken into custody, and he is being booked on multiple counts of attempted sexual assault, false imprisonment and burglary at the Santa Clara County Jail. Those with information regarding these incidents or any other unreported offenses can contact Detective Brandon Scholten of the SJPD Sexual Assault Investigations Unit at 408-277-4102.

Safety measures implemented after attempted assaults near campus

Courtesy of Mitsuwa

One of the two attempted assaults took place at Mitsuwa.

The San Jose Police Department (SJPD) notified Harker administration on May 7 of two cases of attempted sexual assault allegedly perpetrated by the same suspect in the vicinity of the Middle and Upper School campuses.

In a press release from the SJPD, the assailant’s second known victim was revealed as a 13-year-old female, who was reportedly followed home by her attacker from school between the hours of 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. on May 5 and assaulted inside her home on the 4000 block of Rio Vista Ave. The assailant’s first known victim was a 28-year-old female who was reportedly assaulted at Mitsuwa Marketplace on Saratoga Ave at 12:55 p.m. on April 2.

The press release asked for the public’s assistance in apprehending the suspect, describing him as a white male adult of medium height and thin build, approximately 30 years of age and with a beard, as can be seen in the pictures published in the press release.

The suspect was last seen clad in a blue long-sleeve button-down shirt, light-colored cargo shorts and a black beanie, carrying a dark-colored messenger bag and riding a light blue 10-speed-style bicycle.

In an email to the student body and parents, Assistant Head of School Greg Lawson urged the the community to take the necessary precautions.

“The safety of our students, faculty and staff are of the utmost priority to us,” Lawson wrote in the email. “We will keep you posted on any further developments.”
Lawson also wrote that security personnel and BEST staff have been informed and prepared, and that Harker has increased the hours of security presence on all campuses.

“Follow the buddy system,” Spanish teacher Daniela Rozanes said. “If you are going to Starbucks, go with a friend.”

Ellen Minkin (9) recounted her initial reaction when hearing of the incidents, calling it one of “surprise.” She plans to travel in a group with her friends when leaving the Upper School campus after school.

“It’s something you don’t expect to happen near you, it’s something you see on the news, on CNN, not near you,” Ellen said.

The SJPD did not respond to requests for comment by time of publication.

Safety precautions:

1) Do not leave campus alone, even you if you are only going to the complex across the street.
2) If you do leave campus, travel in groups; take at least one person with you, preferably more.
3) Be aware of your surroundings. Do not text or have headphones in when alone or in an unfamiliar or unpopulated area.
4) Report any unusual activity to the SJPD Sexual Assault Investigations Unit at 408-277-4102.

Harker Aquila • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in