(Clker)

Clker

Athletes of the Month

May 16, 2014

Andrew Zhu (12)

Varsity Boys’ Volleyball

Andrew

Varsity outside hitter Andrew Zhu (12) ended his last volleyball season with 232 kills and 171 digs in 61 played sets.

With 14 kills, Andrew helped the team to a victory over Westmont High School in three sets on March 17.

“He’s among the best leaders I’ve ever coached in all my 25 years of coaching,” Head Coach Dan Molin said. “He’s dedicated, he leads by example, and I couldn’t think of a more deserving athlete because of the month and the season that has happened.”

Andrew led the team with 25 kills in the victorious 3-1 game against the previously-undefeated Lynbrook.

He totaled 16 kills in the victorious 3-0 and 3-2 games against Los Gatos on March 28 and Eastside College Prep on April 22, respectively.

“Andrew’s the most driven player I’ve ever played any sport with,” teammate Gaurav Kumar (12) said. “There’s never anybody on the court who wants it more than Andrew.”

The boys’ ended their league games with the match against Soquel High School yesterday and continue to play in the Central Coast Section (CCS) playoff semifinals tomorrow.

Position: Outside hitter

Sets played: 61

Kills: 232

Total blocks: 29

Digs: 171

Aces: 26

Alisa Wakita (10)

Varsity Girls’ Softball

Alisa Wakita

Varsity softball captain Alisa Wakita (10) recorded 14 hits and 11 runs in this season’s 14 games.

“Alisa is fast, strong, and plays with a lot of heart,” Head Coach Raul Rios said. “She is one player that I know will give me 100% at practice and at games.”

In the team’s first league victory of the season against a 16-4 match against Andrew Hill, Alisa made four plate appearances with two at bats. She also accumulated two on-base balls in the game.

Despite team losses, Alisa contributed hits in the games against Fremont on March 7, Pinewood on March 14, Mercy-Burlingame on April 15, and Castilleja on April 22.

UP TO BAT: Sophomore Alisa Wakita bats during practice. Alisa has contributed in many games, including Fremont, Pinewood, and Castilleja.

“Alisa is always really hard working during practice, and she’s really motivated to always do her best,” said Lyndsey Mitchell (9), who has been Alisa’s teammate on both the Varsity softball and cheerleading teams. “She’s really motivated to always do her best.”

Lyndsey later commented on the team’s fondness for the Alisa’s support and helpful advice to the teammates.

The team ended their season with a 0-13 loss against Castilleja High School on Tuesday.

Position: Shortstop

Games played: 14

Hits: 14

Runs: 12

This article was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on May 16, 2014.

Harker Aquila • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in