Controversy over accuracy of electoral college representation

The development of America’s political proceedings has sparked some questions among both the school community and the nation as a whole about the necessity of the electoral college.

The electoral college was founded during the political formation of our country. Its purpose was to offer the 13 original states, who did not fully trust a broad federal government, an opportunity to elect a president who maintained widespread support rather than strong localized followings, according to William C. Kimberling, Deputy Director of the Federal Election Commission Office of Election Administration.

State legislatures choose how to select electors. When citizens cast their votes, they are essentially voting for electors who represent a certain candidate. The electoral college was also meant to help prevent fallacies in the number of votes each candidate receives because it is a representative system.

“I think without it, the elections would be a lot messier than it is, which is saying something,” Lisa Liu (9) said. “I see how it’s necessary.”

Although this system has been in place since America’s foundational period, some students disagree with the more modern ideologies of the system.

“The electoral college makes sense in theory. When it was founded, they believed that the regular people shouldn’t have the vote because if you gave regular people the vote, they wouldn’t make informed decisions based on what the ideals of each political candidate was,” Andy Wang (11) said. “Now, when it’s being implemented in [modern] society, it’s changed over the years, so I guess there might be some issues [regarding accurate representation].”

As seen in the 2012 election of President Barack Obama, the ratio of electoral college votes often differs greatly from that of the general population. A candidate must receive at least 270 electoral votes in order to win; Obama won 332 while opponent Mitt Romney garnered 206. However, the popular vote displayed different statistics, with Obama winning by a margin of 2.6 percent as of yesterday.

“We already have the technology to accurately count every single vote more or less. I don’t see the point of the electoral college if it represents population, but the popular votes differ from the electoral college,” Nik Datuashvili (12) said.

Although members of the community maintain varying views about the electoral college, the system’s roots in American history have not indicated that it will experience any drastic changes in the near future.