The M.J. Journal: My family

Date: Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Location: Miami Zoo

Upon seeing the flamingos:

Mom: Are they real?

Me: No. They put fake birds in a zoo.

Daanish: They have no muscle on their leg. I have more muscle on my leg than they do. I’m muscular.

Hasan: I want ice cream.

Dad: Oh look. Bird.

I never took my family seriously. We are five individuals who live crammed in a house together incapable, of interacting with one another in a normal manner.

Daanish uses his secret powerful weapon that is his head to attack me daily by ramming his skull into me. Hasan puts his “youngest child in the family” persona to win his way with all of us. Dad just lurks around, peering here and there observing what we do without much added commentary. Mom wonders a lot about what she did to make her children so weird, and why she got married at such a young age. Meanwhile, I remain in the corner of my closet, frustrated and alone.

This is the way it has always been. There has always been a giant disconnect in my family. Nobody really knows much about one another’s thoughts and experiences. Each one of us will return home from a life changing event and remain silent about it.

Naturally family vacations were slow torture. I would beat my head against the back seat window, texting furiously to keep up my interaction with the outside world.

But something terribly, yet peculiar happened this presidents week that changed all of that: my cell phone broke. Flat-out stopped working. One week with my family, and I had no outlet of what I identified as “human life.”

In my mind, there was no other way events could possibly get worse. I imagined myself growing more and more frustrated with my family’s tendencies. I envisioned myself snapping at my mom for making some comment and then perpetuating the already false impression my family has of me as a short-tempered, angry teenage girl.

I was wrong. I started an email log when we got to Miami. Every day, I sent out an email to some of my closest friends telling them about the tortures of my trip. The first email I sent out started out with the following sentences: “…In order to survive these next few days during which I am bound to my family, I will do my best to steal my brother’s phone at every chance possible to check my email, and I will borrow his laptop (as I am right now) for lengthier emails at night. Please do respond so as to keep me in touch with the outside world.”

I was forced to give it a shot. I had no other choice other than participating in conversations and hosting a conversation, and I came to realize that I was the one who was the outsider in my family. I never took initiative to look into their lives, and finally, only months before I have to graduate and pack my things, I peeked into their thoughts and found myself thoroughly enjoying them. As much as I could try to express the humor that we share, it would be near impossible because those memories between us are only understood by our family, and are simply priceless.

My last email ended with: “My image of family vacations has dramatically changed having been on this past trip. Painfully embarrassing as my family can be, our sense of humors and ridiculous attitudes definitely provided me with constant entertainment throughout the trip.”

Change happened. I can care about them and not constantly be annoyed by my Dad’s tendency to cut people in lines all the time (“It’s survival of the fittest, Mahum,” he says). Significant changes can take place once I cut myself off from the superficiality of day-to-day texting and small talk to take the time to understand the people I am bound to, the people who I will be forced to deal with my whole life, and the people whom I would never be able to replace.