Sophomores travel to ropes course for annual class trip

Vishal Vaidya (10) and Erika Olsen (10) work together to cross one of the obstacles that was a part of the ropes course. In order to succeed, they had to use spread out black tubes and each other to balance while walking across a thin wire.

On Monday, September 24, the sophomores participated in various bonding activities and ropes courses for their annual class trip.

One half of the grade, which was split by advisory, traveled to YMCA’s Jones Gulch Camp in La Honda, while the other half went to APEX’s Happy Valley Conference Center in Santa Cruz. Both locations provided students the opportunity to engage in team bonding activities, including climbing trees and attempting various parts of the ropes course, such as walking across tightropes and taking a ‘leap of faith’ from a platform high in a tree.

Although some students were bolder than others in trying some of the activities, the thrill that came from each obstacle was a highlight for many students.

“I liked climbing things. […] It was fun, but it was really scary at first,” Avni Barman (10) said. “I definitely stepped out of my comfort zone.”

When not participating in adrenaline-spiking activities, each advisory was able to use the time together to become closer as a group.

“My favorite part is that we’re with our [advisory] groups and [are] watching kids do things that they are not accustomed to [and] that are new for them,” Sophomore Class Dean Diana Moss said. “Watching the different personalities emerge from the kids […] is really fun for me.”

Many students, including Billy Bloomquist (10), found the trip to be a good experience because of the camaraderie developed there.

“[I really liked] working with all my classmates to achieve the common goal set upon us by the people there,” he said.

For many of those who attended, the trip proved to be an adventurous outing that allowed students to bond with each other outside the classroom.