Humans of Harker: Diving into community

With an open mind and volleyball in hand, Johnny Kuehnis embraces the journey

Katerina Matta

“A lot of things that I’ve done, I’ve done because of the fact that it was new. The process of just picking up something new and learning is so rewarding,” Johnny Kuehnis (12) said.

The other side crushes the ball. It hurdles to the middle of the court, directly between Johnny Kuehnis (12) — then a sophomore pushing to make varsity — and an experienced upperclassman defender. Often referred to as the “donut hole,” this area is notoriously difficult to defend. Johnny runs, arms outstretched, to complete the save. Consumed by tryout season nerves, he is unaware of his teammate running for the same ball from the middle back of the court. Suddenly, he is flat on the floor, staring at the upperclassman he slammed into headfirst during the excitement of the scramble play.

Amid the adrenaline of a save and disappointment of a barely-missed play, Johnny fondly recalls a myriad of memories of his years playing volleyball at Harker. Despite the ups and downs that come with any sport, Johnny grew to cherish the sense of community and support the team built. Now, as a senior, he hopes to continue cultivating that attitude in the team. 

“The volleyball team really helped me open up and talk to people older than me and get their advice,” Johnny said. “Once I became an upperclassman, I’ve tried to act as a leader and help out the underclassmen in that same way.”

Johnny makes sure to exude positivity at all times, whether during practice or games, on the court or on the bench. As a varsity player, he doesn’t always have the opportunity to interact with newer players, but he feels a responsibility to ensure that all players feel supported as part of the team. 

In addition to volleyball, other student organizations, like orchestra, have pushed him to open up throughout high school. As a ninth grader, he remembers rarely participating in class and struggling to communicate effectively with his teachers and peers. After joining orchestra, he gained trust in himself and his abilities inside and outside the rehearsal room. Through hard work, he progressed from playing in the back section to now leading the second violin section as principal. 

“Similar to volleyball, orchestra created an environment that encouraged me to really take risks,” Johnny said. “That’s one of the core values that’s at the heart of performing arts in general. Now, I’m really happy that the director saw fit to select me for [a leadership] role.”

Still, Johnny’s talents extend beyond athletics and performing arts. He participates in prestigious bioengineering contests at the University of California, Berkeley and raises environmental awareness through volunteer clean-up events. Simultaneously, he enjoys practicing tricks on his butterfly knife, memorizing renditions of popular songs on the kazoo or gnawing on his signature snack of a carrot. Clare Jin (12), who first met Johnny through advisory in sixth grade, noted his diverse set of hobbies and individuality. 

“Johnny is very creative and very curious about a lot of things,” Clare said. “He’s the perfect embodiment of being this wacky, fun, sweet, person, just because he wants to. You can’t necessarily put ‘yo-yo tricks’ on a college resume, but he still manages to pursue it just because it’s interesting to him.”

Johnny accredits his wide range of interests to his willingness to try new things. He cites this genuine love of learning as the influence for many of his decisions, like switching to violin before starting high school despite having played the piano since the age of four. 

“A lot of things that I’ve done, I’ve done because of the fact that it was new,” Johnny said. “The process of just picking up something new and learning is so rewarding.”

Johnny’s focus on the journey rather than the end result especially appealed to his teachers. Upper school history teacher Dr. Chuck Witschorik, who taught Johnny in junior year, advised him to take advantage of his unique mindset. 

“[I hope he] keeps nurturing that joy in learning,” Witschorik said. “That’s a special gift that will guide him to continue to develop intellectually.” 

Johnny’s attention to the present extends beyond the classroom to the social sphere, where he tries to actively support and uplift his friends. His efforts do not go unnoticed, and his genuine compassion stands out in his contributions to his friendships. 

“[Johnny’s] always there to listen and provide support whenever other people need it, and he’s very caring and concerned about others,” Sonya He (12) said. “He can brighten up any conversation.” 

Whether through dishing out puns at lightning speed or hammering a ball during a volleyball match, Johnny maintains a unique, multifaceted identity. Still, Johnny ultimately considers his thoughtfulness to be one of his biggest strengths. 

“I take pride in my willingness to help other people,” Johnny said. “If my friends ever need to talk or need help with a homework assignment, I make myself available. That’s something I work really hard at, and I think it’s a very important part of being a good friend: being there for other people.”