Humans of Harker: Creativity born from conflict

Ashley Gauba creates digital art to express her beliefs and spark change among the community

Ritika Rajamani

“A big part of my art and also what I want to do in life is I want to create change, whether that’s through social change or technology. A big part of that change comes from visual image and design because that’s the world’s language. Not everyone can understand languages, but everyone can understand a photo, and that has to do with making change that comes from a conflict of ideas,” Ashley Gauba (12) said.

Sitting criss-cross in the lawn of her backyard, Ashley Gauba (12) holds her iPad in her lap, an Apple pen in her right hand. As she stares into the distance, an idea pops into her mind. Bringing her pen towards the iPad, her hand moves, creating brushstrokes of different colors. Holding the iPad up, a proud smile adorns her face as she looks at her newest creation.

After taking Study of Visual Arts in freshman year, Ashley’s interest in art peaked and she decided to embark in graphic design. As the years passed, Ashley has found art to be an outlet for her creativity and beliefs. 

“[Art] is a way for me to portray my feelings on how I’m feeling, and a lot of my work also has to do with society’s standards. A big portion of my work has to do with the way social media creates unrealistic beauty standards and how people try to fit these unrealistic standards in such unhealthy ways. I try to have my artwork cover important social topics,” Ashley said. 

In the summer going into her junior year, Ashley attended a pre-college program at the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). During her time, she feels she experienced a new environment, where unconventional creativity was encouraged instead of fitting into the norm. 

“Something notable through all the classes was how unique and individual everyone was, and nobody was trying to fit into a standard. Sometimes in the Bay Area, especially at Harker, you’re trying to fit into this fold to be this perfect student all around,” Ashley said. “Going there was so refreshing because everyone was so unique, not only in the way they dress, but also the way they express their artwork.”

Ashley also feels some of her proudest moments were at this summer program, where she was fully immersed in the world of art and faced her fears.  

“Going in, my work was not there and the critiques were rough because professors are really honest. My proudest moment was at the end of those six weeks, and hearing one of my professors talk about my improvement and how my work has become individualistic,” Ashley said. “Another proud moment was during drawing class where I got over my fear of drawing. Through the six weeks, my art also started to fit my aesthetic and individuality.”

In her early years of high school, Ashley found herself holding back, being scared of failure and trying to fit into the stereotype the community pushed for. Trying to follow in her sister’s footsteps, Ashley found herself trying too hard to fit into a stereotype that did not fit her. 

“What was holding me back was my fear of doing something too crazy and failing. I was afraid [of] going outside of the boundaries and doing something different and unique. A lot of my artwork is not traditional art. Sometimes, I’m what holds me back,” Ashley said. 

Facing this fear in freshman and sophomore year, Ashley feels she finally broke past it after attending RISD. 

“Going to RISD helped me because I met so many other individuals and created work in such a creative environment where everyone was their own individual self. It made me realize who I was as a person,” Ashley said. “I stopped trying to be exactly like my sister and I started being me. I didn’t need to go into STEM because that’s the norm. I could go into art and do what I want to do.”

Having done digital art for numerous years, Ashley finds many reasons as to why art means so much to her and a passion she will continue to the future as well. 

“I have a lot of trouble speaking about my emotions so art is my outlet for that. It’s like therapy for me,” Ashley said. “I’m still in high school, but my goal is to create change. I feel that the era we’re in, everything is becoming so much more digital. Art is worth it because I can help create change and that is what I wanted to do in my life. I want to create change in any way I can for the world.”

Ashley’s wish begins with her close community. Zoe Kister (12), a close friend since seventh grade, believes Ashley always wishes to spread kindness to everyone around her. 

“My birthday is … at the very beginning of the year, and in seventh grade I didn’t really know anyone. She got me this really cute birthday present, and I remember being so happy because being new to school is hard and she was really sweet and welcoming,” Zoe said. “She never wants to make anyone upset, and she has always had a really good heart.” 

Close friend Farah Hosseini (12) also sees Ashley as a kind and confident woman who always puts others before herself. 

A lot of people in this generation have a hard time with small talk because it’s so easy to create our own personas over the screen that when we talk in person, it’s awkward,” Farah said. “Ashley is the queen of holding conversations with people. She asks every question you can imagine because she’s genuinely curious about what other people have been up to or what they’re interested in. You can tell by looking at the way she holds herself that she’s confident and curious.”

At the end of the day, Ashley wants to live by renowned fashion designer Donatella Versace’s saying, “creativity comes from a conflict of ideas,” and hopes her art embodies this idea.

“A big part of my art and also what I want to do in life is I want to create change, whether that’s through social change or technology,” Ashley said. “A big part of that change comes from visual image and design because that’s the world’s language. Not everyone can understand languages, but everyone can understand a photo, and that has to do with making change that comes from a conflict of ideas.”