Forbes runs summer workout program

This summer, Ron Forbes’s Sports Performance workout program will include changes aimed to exposing the program to a wider range of participants.

The program, formerly known as Eagle Iron, features a variety of drills that intend to improve athletes’ technical skills and enhance their mobility in the process.

“For our fall sports, it acts as our preseason training. For the rest of our sports, it’s an opportunity to improve their skills, speed, agility, fitness, balance and strategy during [the] off-season,” Forbes said.

There will be two workout sessions from June 18 to 29 and from July 9 to August 3, and the workouts take place every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday on Davis Field from 4:30 to 6:30pm. Changes to the program include opening up the workout to students outside of the school as well as implementing a fee. The 95-dollar fee is added this year mainly to offer the workout to people outside of the school as well as gain exposure to the program.

“[The fee] is enough so that students feel like they [are] committing to something but not enough so that it is prohibitive,” Forbes said.
Kevin Su (9) also supports the inclusion of the weekly payments.

“It’s a good idea to have a fee because it allows the program to improve, so the equipment and environment can be bettered as well,” he said.
Students from past years, such as Asia Howard (12), have mostly expressed positive feedback about the program.

“I hate working out by myself. Eagle Iron was perfect because I had multiple coaches to push me and a lot of people to talk with,” Asia said.

Alan Guo (9), who was one of the approximately 45 students who participated last year, thought that the program was “a great opportunity to become stronger for the soccer season.” He felt that the program met his expectations by making him faster, and in the process, he learned some exercises he could do at home as well. However, he felt there were still more improvements that could be made.

“The program could have specialized exercises for certain sports besides football if enough people from a team show up,” he said.

Although the school’s program is one way for students to work out over summer, some people choose to use their local gyms instead.

“Going to local gyms is good for people who want to keep at their own pace, or for people who don’t play a [team] sport and want to keep fit, ” Neda Ghaffarian (12) said.

Many of the basics of the workouts will remain the same this year; drill and equipment are constantly being improved as Forbes aims to make the program more efficient for athletes.

“We do a dynamic warm-up that improves mobility and flexibility and range of motion through the hips. Our dynamic warm-up is something that I put together through the last 15 to 20 years,” Forbes said. “There’s basic movement skills that we work on during the summer on our general athleticism.”

Students who plan to incorporate the program into their summer should contact Forbes regarding their participation.