Keller’s Korner – April 13

The week back from break proved to be eventful, with major events including the orchestra Spring Concert, a L.I.F.E. assembly, and the Green Teen Summit.

“Bill McKibben speaking at the Green Teen Summit is going to be amazing,” Butch Keller said. “I thoroughly enjoy watching our kids perform, so I am very excited about the orchestra performance. I’m a huge supporter of the wellness program, so I’m looking forward to the different activities going on. I might be more excited about the Eagle Buddies than anything because I know how much fun that’s going to be.”

The orchestra’s last concert of the year, the Spring Concert took place on the evening of Friday, April 13 at the Mexican Heritage Center. The performance was the group’s last of the year aside from Baccalaureate. They played pieces including Hector Berlioz’s Roman Carnival Overture, Op. 9 and Felix Mendelssohn’s Overture to A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Op. 21.

On the same day, students participated in the fifth L.I.F.E. assembly of the year, which featured guest speakers on topics such as substance abuse including Rey Cedeño, a member of the San Jose Police Department. Meanwhile, the junior class took a trip to the Bucknall campus to spend time with their fourth grade Eagle Buddies, partaking in activities such as face painting.

The first ever Green Teen Summit, featuring speaker Bill McKibben and organized by the BOSS club, took place on Saturday, April 14. Open to students all over the Bay Area, the conference served to contribute to environmental awareness. McKibben is the founder of 350.org and is widely recognized across the country for his green activism.

More events to look forward to next week include ASB speeches, the annual musical, and an update on Recreate Reading.