10 things to look forward to in the final season of “Game of Thrones”

The+final+season+of+%22Game+of+Thrones%22+premiers+tonight+at+9+p.m.+Pacific+Time.+The+show+has+been+honored+with+38+Emmys+and+one+Golden+Globe.+

The final season of

The final season of "Game of Thrones" premiers tonight at 9 p.m. Pacific Time. The show has been honored with 38 Emmys and one Golden Globe.

HBO

HBO

HBO

by Eric Fang, News Editor

The last season of the award-winning TV show “Game of Thrones, an adaptation of George R. R. Martin’s book series A Song of Ice and Fire, premieres tonight at 6 p.m. Pacific Time on HBO. Since its debut in 2010, the show has accumulated one Golden Globe of four nominations and 38 Emmy Awards of 132 nominations, making it the most awarded show in Emmy Awards history. Here are a list of things that fans can probably look forward to now that the show is coming to a close.

1. Family Reunions
  • Something we can definitely look forward to in season 8 are all the family reunions. As of now, Jon Snow, a major character, still is unaware of the fact that Bran and Arya have returned to Winterfell, their ancestral home. Once Jon returns to Sansa at Winterfell, their reunion will surely be touching. The reunions expand beyond the Starks, however. Tyrion Lannister, Daenerys’s principal advisor and Hand of the Queen, will also travel North. This sets up a long-awaited reunion with his brother, Jaime Lannister.
  1. Bronn Gets His Castle
  • Bronn has put his life on the line countless times since he was first introduced in season 1. He has also saved the lives of some of the show’s most prominent characters. Namely, he saved Tyrion Lannister during his trial at the Eyrie and Jaime Lannister during his battle with the Dothraki. He could even be credited with saving the entire city of King’s Landing, since he was the one that shot the arrow that destroyed Stannis Baratheon’s fleet. With all this in mind, the least Jaime could do is grant Bronn the castle of his choice, Bronn’s only request of Jaime beyond money.
  1. Azor Ahai Revealed
  • Azor Ahai is a legendary hero who is prophesied to someday be reborn. Believers in R’hllor believe that he will manifest himself in human form during times of chaos and darkness. Back when Stannis was still alive, the red priestess Melisandre believed that he was Azor Ahai. Since he died and ultimately failed to secure the Iron Throne, the identity of Azor Ahai is still unknown. A red priestess in Mereen hinted that the hero could potentially be Daenerys since the legend is technically not gender-specific. However, many theorize that Azor Ahai could be Jon Snow considering his heritage.
  1. The Hound Fights the Mountain
  • Within GoT’s complex and constantly evolving story arcs, one thing that cannot be denied is how much Sandor Clegane, otherwise known as The Hound, hates his brother Gregor. Honestly, who can blame him? Ever since episode one of the first season we’ve known that the Hound’s gruesome facial scars were a result of his brother shoving his face into a burning brazier. Because of this traumatizing event, the Hound is now both profoundly afraid of fire and determined on getting his revenge. However, this task is far from easy. After all, the people of Westeros call his brother the Mountain for a reason. His character is portrayed by Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, a 6’9”, 425-pound strong man, and Bronn described him as “freakish big and freakish strong” in episode seven of season 4. This fight needs to happen in season 8, to satisfy both the viewers and the Hound’s personal vendetta.
  1. Nymeria’s Return
  • Nymeria is one of the Stark siblings’ two surviving direwolves. We saw her last season as an alpha with a large pack of wolves that roam the Riverlands. She and her pack will surely be a much needed asset in the final confrontation with the Night King, especially since Arya, the person who raised Nymeria, will be in extreme danger. In addition, according to the first novel of George R. R. Martin’s book series, A Game of Thrones, direwolves are capable of growing to the frightening size of a pony – a worthy companion for Arya.
  1. Jon’s Reaction to His Parentage
  • One of the biggest bombshells dropped at the end of the last season was Sam revealing Jon’s heritage. Instead of being Ned Stark’s illegitimate son, Jon is actually the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. Because Lyanna loved Rhaegar, Jon is the legitimate heir to the Iron Throne. This essentially destroys Daenerys’s claim that the Iron Throne is her birthright. The news also makes Daenerys Jon’s aunt (which is super weird). We are all waiting for how Jon will react to this revelation.
  1. Return of the Faceless Men
  • Whether it be Arya continuing to use her “face-wearing” skills or the return of Jaqen H’ghar, the Faceless men ought to play a role in the final season. A popular fan theory is that Syrio Forel, Arya’s childhood mentor, is actually Jaqen H’ghar. If this is true, he will most definitely come to Arya’s aid in the final conflict.
  1. Cersei’s Death
  • Game of Thrones has a history of killing off evil and unliked characters, such as Walder Frey, Joffrey Baratheon and Ramsey Bolton. With this in mind, Cersei will most likely not make it through the last season, and her death is honestly well-deserved. After all, she played a role in the betrayal and subsequent execution of Ned Stark, the show’s first protagonist. She also blew up the Great Sept of Baelor, killing off characters such as Kevan Lannister, Mace Tyrell, Margaery Tyrell, Loras Tyrell and the High Sparrow.
  1. Hound-Arya Reunion
  • Once all the major characters gather in Winterfell for the final showdown, the Hound and Arya will definitely be reunited. The sight of the Hound will be a shocker to Arya since she thought that she had left him to die back in the Vale. Likewise, Arya’s newfound professionalism and maturity will be a stark (no pun intended) contrast to the naive Arya of the past. How these two characters end up interacting now that they have both changed will be interesting, to say the least.
  1. Closure
  • Since this is sadly the last season of “Game of Thrones,” the audience should receive some kind of closure by the end. This could take the form of someone (not Cersei) sitting on the Iron Throne or, as Daenerys would like, the breaking of the wheel. Either way, I want to feel as if the show really did end, with all loose ends tied. Honestly, the show might even do this by killing off a large chunk of its characters. Because ultimately, like Ramsey said in season three, “if you think this has a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention.”