Humans of Harker: The lens of fashion

Sunya Siddiqui expresses herself in style

Humans of Harker: The lens of fashion

“Clothes just represent my mood. If I’m in a more happy mood, then I’ll express that through vibrant colors and put more effort into what I’m wearing. I also like to express my culture through fashion. I’m Pakistani so when we go out to a Pakistani event, I like to wear salwar kameezes or saris because I think it's a part of who I am growing up and seeing these strong women wearing these things,

“Clothes just represent my mood. If I’m in a more happy mood, then I’ll express that through vibrant colors and put more effort into what I’m wearing. I also like to express my culture through fashion. I’m Pakistani so when we go out to a Pakistani event, I like to wear salwar kameezes or saris because I think it's a part of who I am growing up and seeing these strong women wearing these things," Sunya Siddiqui (12) said.

Shreya Srinivasan

Shreya Srinivasan

Shreya Srinivasan

Her unique, well thought clothing contrasts a gentle expression on her face. A gold chain rests on top of a white ribbed mock neck top, complemented by wide legged cream and navy patterned pants. The outfit is tied together with a light brown belt with a gold buckle and a headband that pulls back her hair, framing her face. Like this, senior Sunya Siddiqui bases her daily fashion choices on her state of mind.

“Clothes just represent my mood. If I’m in a more happy mood, then I’ll express that through vibrant colors and put more effort into what I’m wearing,” Sunya said. “I also like to express my culture through fashion. I’m Pakistani so when we go out to a Pakistani event, I like to wear salwar kameezes or saris because I think it’s a part of who I am growing up and seeing these strong women wearing these things.”

Sunya embraces her Pakistani background through celebrating Eid and taking part in fasts during Ramdan. Other than participating in these key holidays, she also enjoys engaging in other Pakistani events while also partaking in the traditional Pakistani dress.

“My Pakistani background is extremely important to me because it is a part of me. Most of my family was born there, and I am ethnically Pakistani,” Sunya said. “When people see me in America, due to my complexion, they tend to assume I am from a different culture. And while this may be true, I identify as a Pakistani-American. Both these countries are so important to me, and I try to balance both cultures as much as I can.”

Her friend Catherine Wang (12) notices the minor details in Sunya’s fashion sense which makes her style unique from others.

“I love Sunya’s fashion sense because she’s always on top of her makeup and wardrobe game, like her slick eyeliner or when she wore a classy trench coat the other day when it was raining,” Catherine said.

Though fashion was originally something that Sunya did for herself, she expanded her interests to a blog, Rosy Rouge, on which she posts about fashion, beauty and her lifestyle. It helped her spread her creativity during the time when she was not able to play squash due to an injury.

“I felt like I was missing a purpose in life so I decided to start the blog. It gave me a lot of initiative and a lot more reasons to express myself and find what I’m passionate about,” Sunya said.

Sunya’s close friend Rithika Devarakonda (12) sees Sunya’s desire to take her interests further than just pursuing them without much attention to what she is doing.

“I think she takes her interests to a whole new level. I know she really likes fashion and style and things like that and she’s really good at that kind of stuff,” Rithika said. “She has really interesting interests and I could see her having a successful life.”

Despite working hard to meet her goals, Sunya often has light hearted conversations with friends such as Liza Egorova and is also able to bring a humorous aspect to them.

“She is never in a bad mood and always on top of all of her tasks,” Liza said. “Sunya [also] always has a meme or vine ready for any situation.”

Sunya describes her greatest role model or her mother as bold, strong and able to pursue her interests despite having a child at a young age. The senior’s wish to cultivate her interests originated from this as she began to listen to her own passions and combined dramatic arts with her love of fashion.

“[My mom] sort of gives me a push in life,” Sunya said. “She had an arranged marriage and she wasn’t able to choose what to do, so when she was 28, she decided to go into psychology. Seeing her being able to achieve her dreams and be happy motivates me to do the same thing.”

Like her mother, Sunya chose an interest that is not common among others: film studies and drama, hoping to study this further in college. Her passion started when she was a young girl and as she grew older, she began to study costume design and see its correlation to movies while also doing productions outside of school at the American Conservatory Theater. Ultimately, this led her to discover her passion, which she now works with for the benefit for herself and those around her.

“When I was 8, I would be watching films by Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn, and nobody my age knew about it,” Sunya said. “That really struck me that I was the only person in my friend group that had any idea about that. I realized gradually over time that this is something that I wanted to do since it gave me so much joy. Film can move people really easily and just being able to be apart of that is really powerful.”