Humans of Harker: Stand up and smile

Anusha Kuppahally takes a stand with heart

Anika Rajamani

“I think it’s all about having your hard work acknowledged, whether that’s through competitive success or just going to a tournament and feeling that the experience was rewarding. Even if you don’t have tons of success at the tournament, it’s the great support system you build while there, and that is what makes it all worth it,” Anusha Kuppahally (12) said.

Time runs out as the two teams quickly finalize their main arguments. The judges gesture to the first group to present their initial statement. Without giving another thought to the nervous energy overtaking her, senior Anusha Kuppahally walks onto the stage, positions herself in front of the panel of judges and begins her speech with quiet confidence.

In middle school, she signed up for the speech and debate club because of her interest in research, writing and intellectual conversation. She felt an immediate affinity for the activity and decided to continue to work and improve on her debating skills in high school.

“I think it’s all about having your hard work acknowledged, whether that’s through competitive success or just going to a tournament and feeling that the experience was rewarding,” Anusha said. “Even if you don’t have tons of success at the tournament, it’s the great support system you build while there, and that is what makes it all worth it.”

From her trademark half-up, half-down hairstyle to her contagious smile, a common sight around campus is Anusha arguing passionately about politics, holding the door open for someone or making her friends laugh.

“Anusha is one of those friends who still asks me to do homework with her even though I spend the whole time distracting her, just because she knows I hate doing work alone,” Anusha’s friend Lily Wancewicz (12) said. “She asks how my pets are because she knows they mean a lot to me. She always takes time to be caring and considerate about small things.”

A strong advocate against animal cruelty, Anusha has always been a vegetarian and an animal lover her entire life. During a conversation with her friend Claire Newman (12) in the end of freshman year about their shared interest in protecting animal rights, they decided to start the United Against Animal Cruelty club, dedicated to raising awareness and money for the support of both wild and domesticated animals.

As a part of the club, Anusha has invested her time in exploring ways to better conditions for animals by educating students at the Hidden Villa Ranch about their role in maltreatment against animals. The club has also set up bake sales and fundraisers at school to raise money for organizations such as Compassion in World Farming, an organization which lobbies against livestock slaughter.

“[United Against Animal Cruelty] has been such a big part of my high school career because I was a part of every step,” Anusha said. “I was there when we came up with the idea, and I saw how that random idea we had developed into a club really started making change for a community that I truly care about. I really hope it lives on.”

In contrast to the strong voice she developed through activism, Anusha also enjoys the intense serenity and complexity that playing the piano offers. Her musical journey started as a five-year-old when her parents enrolled her in a class, where she quickly progressed from a recreational player to a competitive, award-winning pianist. Despite numerous experiences that left her considering walking away from the piano, she never allowed the failures overshadow the bliss that the instrument provides her with.

“I just sometimes like to find sheet music – not songs that have been assigned to me or that were part of some specific book, but just songs that I have heard and really love. It’s super fun to just experiment with different songs and different techniques,” Anusha said.

Her willingness to unfailingly prioritize her friends and family has allowed her to develop many unbreakable bonds and create everlasting memories. The deep appreciation she has for the differences in each person in her life has helped her to expand on her own perspectives and ideas.

“Anusha is so multifaceted. She always stands up for her beliefs, but she’s also one of the most genuinely kind-hearted people you’ll ever meet,” Prameela Kottapalli (12) said. “Every one of her friends knows that they’re lucky to have her in their life. That being said, she’s also amazing at roasting people, and that’s something I truly admire about her.”